Felix Suddenly Not Using Litter Box

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, Felix has decided not to use the litter box and I have no idea why. He pooped in the spare room and he peed on the floor. He is hiding behind my desk in the living room. He has never done this before. Is this behavioural or could it be pointing towards a health issue?

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, Felix has decided not to use the litter box and I have no idea why. He pooped in the spare room and he peed on the floor. He is hiding behind my desk in the living room. He has never done this before. Is this behavioural or could it be pointing towards a health issue?
Is Felix a indoor only Kitty ? If that's the case . My guess Its more Behavioral . Is Felix your only cat?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is hard for us to tell if it is behavioral or health related. However, the sudden refusal to use the litter box combined with hiding could indicate that Felix does not feel well. IMO the vet should be contacted. If he rules out a UTI or other condition, you can then move onto behavioral concerns.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think Felix is about 12ish? That being the case, health issues need to be checked out first. How is his eating/drinking? Sometimes, older cats who do something like this that is out of the ordinary for them are a bit 'taken aback' by what they've done, and so he might be hiding from that aspect. However, it is more likely that he is generally feeling unwell, and at his age that warrants a vet visit.

He is of the age for semi-annual checkups which usually entail a full scale blood work up and a urinalysis. Doing so enables subtle changes to be seen and helps to address issues that might be brewing and can therefore be addressed before they get more serious.

Aside from that, changes in food, litter, and/or his environment can also cause litter box issues. But, as said above, rule out the health aspect first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Felix a indoor only Kitty ? If that's the case . My guess Its more Behavioral . Is Felix your only cat?
He is indoor only. He is the only cat but a couple days ago, we had a family dog come back to live with us. I didn't fully take in that that might have upset him.

I just saw pee on the floor and started to panic. It very well could be the addition of another dog but I will call his vet to make an appointment.

Last edited: