Feliway Multicat VS. Optimum: Thoughts?

annabee

Full-time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used Feliway Multicat for years. I love it, but I'm thinking about switching to Feliway Optimum.

I saw it phrased elsewhere that Classic helps with a cat's stress, Multicat helps cats get along, and Optimum does both. For those of you have have used Optimum (and especially those who have used Multicat and Optimum), what is your experience?

We have eight cats, and Feliway Multicat absolutely makes a difference in our household. My cats' behavior is what alerts me to a diffuser needing replacement. They're a bit more antsy and more easily provoked between one another without the diffusers. However, I can't say Multicat calms any one cat as an individual; it only helps keep the peace between them. For example, one of my cats has FIC, and Feliway Multicat does nothing (or doesn't seem to add anything) to help manage her stress (we manage it in a dozen other ways, and each thing certainly makes a difference). I wouldn't mind having a product that would safely and sustainably calm them all, though. I don't mind energetic, active cats; I only want to help alleviate any lingering anxiety, stress, or other mental discomfort they may have.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't feel comefortable with diffusers because of the fire risk with them. But the spray stuff the vet used once on the table and it smelled fruity like kids perfume or lipgloss. My cats are pretty mellow already so IDK if it really did anything for them. Kabuto did nip the vet (did not break skin) when she tried to take blood from his neck. So idk if it did anything besides make the room smell fruity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annabee

Full-time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
After looking around feliway is a very hit and miss product with some studies even saying it doesn't do anything at all.
Another study shows that Feliway™ doesn’t work -

Im not sure if it really does anything but maybe it does
Hi, IndyJones! Thanks for all your comments and research. :dizzycat:

I'm definitely going to continue using Feliway in our household-- our vet recommends it, I've gone through well over 100, it makes a huge difference in dominance issues between our cats, and there's always someone home (on there rare off chance there isn't, we can unplug). Every electrical device is a potential fire hazard, so it's good to proceed with caution (and information). In my experience, it's never been hot to the touch, but it has been very warm.

I do know many of the experiences with fire on such outlets are a result of mishandling/misuse, not keeping items away from the outlet, using off-brand plug-ins and refills, or inappropriate/damaged outlets (the diffuser should never "sag"). Here's a nice, concise article about Feliway hazards that are important to consider.

I'm mostly curious whether it's worth it to switch to Feliway Optimum (for my cats' sake regarding their individual stress levels) as I've only used Multicat for years.

Of course, this product is a luxury (AKA not necessary), and it should only be used if you're comfortable using it! I'm not trying to convince you; I'm only elaborating if anyone is curious. Thanks again for sharing your experiences. :hearthrob:

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used the Optimum during a stressful time and it made my cats worse. All of them were affected, but our especially territorial cat was the most affected. In my case, I believe my cats thought that the pheromones from the diffuser were from an intruder cat. They were on edge, nervous, constantly sniffing each other, constantly sniffing the diffusers, attacking each other in a way that wasn’t playing, and two of them sprayed, which had never happened before and hasn’t happened since. When it finally clicked in my brain what was happening, I unplugged the diffusers, threw them out in the garbage in the garage, opened all windows and ran the air conditioner and fans, and all the cats were completely normal within two hours.

Granted, I had never used Multicat or any other pheromone diffusers before, so I don’t know if they would have reacted this way to all diffusers, or just the Optimum, but I don’t want to find out. In your case, I feel like if Multicat is working well for you, don’t fix what isn’t broken. But if you do want to try the Optimum, just watch their behavior carefully and i think you will be able to tell if it is beneficial or not.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Annabee!

I use Feliway at home too. I've tried Classic, Optimum and Multicat and prefer the Multicat in my home.

We have two diffusers that run most of the time. One of mine is in a Relaxivet plug and the other is in a Feliway plug. I prefer the Relaxivet plug. We turn them off when we go out for fire safety. We use the spray at that time.

My vet's office has some in every room too and it 100% helped Nobel to be calmer at the vet.

I noted that Magnus was more jumpy from outside noises on Optimum than on Multicat. I also noticed a big leap in confidence after the move from Classic to Multicat.

annabee

Full-time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I used the Optimum during a stressful time and it made my cats worse. All of them were affected, but our especially territorial cat was the most affected. In my case, I believe my cats thought that the pheromones from the diffuser were from an intruder cat. They were on edge, nervous, constantly sniffing each other, constantly sniffing the diffusers, attacking each other in a way that wasn’t playing, and two of them sprayed, which had never happened before and hasn’t happened since. When it finally clicked in my brain what was happening, I unplugged the diffusers, threw them out in the garbage in the garage, opened all windows and ran the air conditioner and fans, and all the cats were completely normal within two hours.

Granted, I had never used Multicat or any other pheromone diffusers before, so I don’t know if they would have reacted this way to all diffusers, or just the Optimum, but I don’t want to find out. In your case, I feel like if Multicat is working well for you, don’t fix what isn’t broken. But if you do want to try the Optimum, just watch their behavior carefully and i think you will be able to tell if it is beneficial or not.
Fascinating! What a response they had. You know, your reasoning makes sense. Thanks for sharing, that's definitely something to consider!

annabee

Full-time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Annabee!

I use Feliway at home too. I've tried Classic, Optimum and Multicat and prefer the Multicat in my home.

We have two diffusers that run most of the time. One of mine is in a Relaxivet plug and the other is in a Feliway plug. I prefer the Relaxivet plug. We turn them off when we go out for fire safety. We use the spray at that time.

My vet's office has some in every room too and it 100% helped Nobel to be calmer at the vet.

I noted that Magnus was more jumpy from outside noises on Optimum than on Multicat. I also noticed a big leap in confidence after the move from Classic to Multicat.
Hi Annabee!

Thanks for your response, Alldara! :lovecat:

Is there a particular reason you prefer the Multicat in your home? Does it seem to be more effective at keeping the peace, lasts longer, etc.? Or is the main thing Magnus being more jumpy on Optimum than on Multicat?

I've never heard of the Relaxivet brand! I see there are several products on Chewy, though. I'll definitely look more into that, as well.

I'm leaning toward it being best to stay on Multicat and perhaps get more plug ins.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for your response, Alldara! :lovecat:

Is there a particular reason you prefer the Multicat in your home? Does it seem to be more effective at keeping the peace, lasts longer, etc.? Or is the main thing Magnus being more jumpy on Optimum than on Multicat?

I've never heard of the Relaxivet brand! I see there are several products on Chewy, though. I'll definitely look more into that, as well.

I'm leaning toward it being best to stay on Multicat and perhaps get more plug ins.
I do not recommend Relaxivet's plug ins themselves but it you can get the plug on its own I do like that. I wouldn't use their collars or anything.

I did find it good at keeping the peace when Nobel was alive. He would hiss at Cal a lot and sometimes charge the boys when they were playing as he thought they were hurting one another. (Just a stomp over and swat them apart.)

Now we don't really have trouble with anything like that. So I basically keep using Multicat because I notice that Magnus is less anxious when using Multicat.

We have a small place, but I do also find that the cats tend to come to the rooms where it's plugged in more frequently when the diffusers are on. Like they favour those places which makes me think that they FEEL the benefit. I didn't have that with Classic or Optimum.

annabee

Full-time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not recommend Relaxivet's plug ins themselves but it you can get the plug on its own I do like that. I wouldn't use their collars or anything.

I did find it good at keeping the peace when Nobel was alive. He would hiss at Cal a lot and sometimes charge the boys when they were playing as he thought they were hurting one another. (Just a stomp over and swat them apart.)

Now we don't really have trouble with anything like that. So I basically keep using Multicat because I notice that Magnus is less anxious when using Multicat.

We have a small place, but I do also find that the cats tend to come to the rooms where it's plugged in more frequently when the diffusers are on. Like they favour those places which makes me think that they FEEL the benefit. I didn't have that with Classic or Optimum.
Excellent, thank you so much! I wouldn't ever use a non-breakaway collars (and I'd rather avoid one with constant fragrances or other chemicals rubbing on them all the time), but I do appreciate the heads up there!

Yeah, it's sounding like sticking with Multicat may be the way to go. :hearthrob:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
At pet valu they often have the optimum on clearance or sale but I think thats because of the issues meantioned, it doesn't work or makes things worse so it doesn't sell, it is also more expensive than the sprays but now I know why they always have shelves full of the optimum I guess.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Feliway spray all the time in the home and IT DOES WORK. however, I did write the company about a fire hazard because one plug -in got mega hot and I had to toss it.
Of course the company went on and on in an email to justify the safety of their plug in, but..I will not use those ever again.
As for vets' offices..I used to see the plug ins, but not any more..probably were samples that the company sends the professionals for free.
But use caution with those plug-ins. The spray does work//(except when she has to go in her carrier which she hates).

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Feliway Optimum going for a month now. My cats still don’t get along, so can’t say if it helps

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used Feliway Multicat for years. I love it, but I'm thinking about switching to Feliway Optimum.

I saw it phrased elsewhere that Classic helps with a cat's stress, Multicat helps cats get along, and Optimum does both. For those of you have have used Optimum (and especially those who have used Multicat and Optimum), what is your experience?

We have eight cats, and Feliway Multicat absolutely makes a difference in our household. My cats' behavior is what alerts me to a diffuser needing replacement. They're a bit more antsy and more easily provoked between one another without the diffusers. However, I can't say Multicat calms any one cat as an individual; it only helps keep the peace between them. For example, one of my cats has FIC, and Feliway Multicat does nothing (or doesn't seem to add anything) to help manage her stress (we manage it in a dozen other ways, and each thing certainly makes a difference). I wouldn't mind having a product that would safely and sustainably calm them all, though. I don't mind energetic, active cats; I only want to help alleviate any lingering anxiety, stress, or other mental discomfort they may have.
I haven't noticed a difference in cat behavior.

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I have a question, how are you supposed to use the spray? By spraying it on things around the house so they get the scent.
? As opposed to the diffuser which sprays it in the air?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't find the spray particularly helpful. My cats just avoided the sprayed area. 😅 I think some people find it very helpful.

I've sprayed their carriers before the vet too and didn't notice any difference in stress levels.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't find the spray particularly helpful. My cats just avoided the sprayed area. 😅 I think some people find it very helpful.

I've sprayed their carriers before the vet too and didn't notice any difference in stress levels.
I see a great difference EXCEPT for the ride to the vet. Go figure!? I think she has yowled whenever she gets in there so often that she figures that is just what she is supposed to do Feliway or not. Learned behavior?

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I have a question, how are you supposed to use the spray? By spraying it on things around the house so they get the scent.
? As opposed to the diffuser which sprays it in the air?
The diffuser uses heat to send the product onto the air. The spray is just that. Spray it wherever.