Feliway Giving My Cat Asthma?

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently purchased Feliway to help my older cat get used to the new kittens in the home. Since I purchased it my cat has has wheezing, louder than normal snoring (he has snored his entire life), hacking fits, no meow, and over grooming. I think it might be from the Feliway, but I'm not 100% sure. I went ahead and unplugged it. I remember a few years ago he had the same issue under stress. Wondering if anyone has had this happen. The issue only started a day after I plugged that thing in.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems unlikely that Feliway would be causing that, but not impossible. What does he look like when he's having a "hacking fit"? Kinda crouched low to the ground as if trying to pass a hairball orrr? It might also be upper respiratory infection. Or seeing how its nearly summer, something involving heat? The overgrooming is worrysome, try to relieve some of this stress with playtime. Do stop if he seems to have trouble breathing.

In either case, if the symptoms persist do go to a vet. Breathing problems can get very serious, very quick

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The stress of the new kittens is most likely causing the symptoms. Keep an eye on him. If he gets worse, stops eating, starts hiding, or becomes very lethargic, then get him to the vet right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, thank you all so much, secondly I took out the plug in and did notice an improvement. He also started his prozac as well. My vet told me, in some rare cases, Feliway can cause stress with a new home change since typically those are used to curb strong behavior changes and/or peeing in the home. 24 hours after I unplugged it he started slowly meowing again. This is only the second day of him being on his new medication, so I know it isn't that just yet, but unplugging the diffuser seems to have helped greatly. Again, thank you all so much!

Cat lady milwaukee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feliway spray has triggered my cats asthma - I searched to see if I could find anything in this and found this thread - I did want to make others aware that the feliway spray has triggered my cats asthma

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's worrying. I'll have to be careful then because mine has chronic bronchitis also.