Feliway - Does it work? For FLUTD and aggressive cat.

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cat's has FLUTD.  He has had several vet checks. Told it was idiopathic, later on he developed struvite crystals which were treated and are now gone.

He has allergies as well and is on Cetrizine for allergies and 1000mg of methioine for the urinary issues. Hopefully I spelled that right.

The problem is he continuously strains to pee. He can go (never obstructed), but he has very little bladder control. If he gets excited, he pees. If you give him a bath, he pees. If he gets cold, he pees etc.

The vet encouraged me to try Feliway. It is expensive though.  Has anyone had any success with it?

He is already on Pentosan (Elmiron) for $20 a month and feline Instinct canned food at $37 a month. I've spent a small fortune on this cat!

His only other problem is he has aggression issues. He always beats up on one of my other cats, and is so aggressive none of the other cats will play with him. If he tries to play, they hiss at him and leave the room.

One other question: I though Feliway was derived from some sort of herb?  Maybe I'm thinking of a different product though.  Valarian root maybe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand what you are going through.  There are many experienced people here that can offer help.  Try posting this question in the health section and title it with problems associated with FLUTD.  I have a male cat that is just like you have.  Much of the problems comes from being a "high stressed" cat and that contributes to FLUTD.  Feliway does help some cats, not all.  I could not see that it helped my boy.

Check out a Yahoo Group "FLUTD".  The site is all about the many problems associated with these type problems and how you can help your cat.

I give my boy Vetri-Science brand "Composure" (helps with stressed cats) and "Glyco Flex II" (helps keep the lining of the bladder healthy).  Feeding an all canned diet helps tremendously!  The Yahoo Group FLUTD can explain all the research and how these things help.

Wishing you the best.  This problem can be managed and made better.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Feliway should lessen the aggressiveness. Yes, it is a little expensive, but much cheaper than vet bills for repairing the results of fights. As for the FLUTD, there are many people here that have gone through the problem with their cats. Here is a link to articles pertaining to cat health.  www.thecatsite.com/atype/46/Cat_Health

If you will search (at the top of the page) for FLUTD you will be able to choose from many threads with advice.