Feliway Diffuser Working?

jma029

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 6 cats who have been spraying more and more in 3 different rooms of the house. I decided to try the Feliway diffusers since I've heard good things about it. I bought 3 - one for each room.

However, it's been about 3 weeks and I dont think they are working properly. 2 of the diffusers are warm to the touch, but the wick is completely dry and the liquid is not disappearing. The 3rd diffuser is warm to the touch, but it is coated in liquid, even on the outside of the diffuser. I'm sure this is a fire hazard but this seems to be the only room where they haven't been spraying lately.

I've tried to research it to see if the wick should be dry or not and how to remedy this, but I cannot find anything about it. Luckily, I bought them from Chewy who are replacing 2 of the diffusers, but what if it happens again? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks for your help!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea if this is how they are supposed to work or not. We tried one and I found the smell strong from the moment I opened the vial. Cats have a much better sense of smell than people. I expect your cats are picking up on some of the scent.

We used it one day. It made our cat revert to her kittenhood before she was civilized at all. That wasn't helpful.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know if Feliways do anything - heard both advocates and disbelievers on this site...

But, I do know that if you are not removing the spray smell from those rooms, I firmly believe no Feliway in the world is going to stop it. Are you getting the smell out from the spraying each time?

I trust they are all spayed/neutered? And, do you know 'who started it" and when? Were there any changes that could be attributed to when one/they started spraying?

Here are a couple of articles about cats spraying, including indoors, that may give you some insight about the issues and related solutions - although, I will admit both mention Feliway…

Indoor Spraying in Cats - The Cat Clinic
Urine spraying in cats | International Cat Care

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the Feliway removes the spray smell at all, you need the enzyme cleaners to do that. After the enzyme cleaners dry, you can try white vinegar on the hard surfaces and baking soda in the carpet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to K Kflowers suggestions, "The Equalizer" (Amazon.com) is super effective on carpeting/non-washable rugs without excessive saturation and therefore drying time is minimal. Nature's Miracle might work on hard surfaces, but I am not sure it is any more effective for those surfaces than a white vinegar/water/detergent scrub. Clothing/bed linens - if they are caught soon after the 'offense' can simply be washed in laundry detergent, along with baking soda.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry clean only clothes can be cleaned by the dry cleaner, but they don't tend to be happy about it.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never had any luck with Feliway and am convinced it is snake oil. I trialled it for a month with my current cat when he started spraying and made zero difference. What eventually did work was me figuring out why he was spraying (strange cat was showing up outside my kitchen door at night) and fixing the issue.

I do know some people who swear by Feliway. From what I can tell the studies backing it are really poorly done. Cats constantly mark their territory with comforting pheromones anyway, so I don't see how a synthetic pheromone would make any difference.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wile Wile has a good point one of mine sprayed the front door the back door, a couple of corners and once on my feet while I was standing at the back door. The last was because I'd just fed a stray outside that door. It took forever to figure out the other spraying, but the neighbor's boy, who was fixed latish in life was spraying both doors. Find the spots and wash them off with enzyme cleaners or white vinegar.