Feliway Diffuser Leaking

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey folks,
A few months ago I bought the Feliway Optimum kit with the diffuser, since my old one from a Classic kit has been getting hot. Last night, I noticed the new diffuser was leaking. The oil was all around the base where the wick screws in and some dropped down the side of the pheromone container. That hasn’t ever happened with the Classic diffuser. I was comparing them and noticed that the wick doesn’t stick out on the Optimum diffuser like it does on the Classic one.

Has anyone encountered this? If you have the newer diffuser that has the green light on the front, does the wick that screws in stick up or is it buried in the area where it screws in? I’ll provide some photos to show what I’m talking about.

Old classic diffuser, showing how the wick sticks up:
IMG_2100.jpeg
New Optimum diffuser that’s been leaking. Notice how the wick doesn’t stick up at all. It isn’t even flush with the black part. Is that normal?
IMG_2101.jpeg
IMG_2102.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Could you send these photos to the manufacturer and/or the store you bought them from? It might be defective, they may notice others have similar complaints and can fix the issue and potentially send you a new one.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have much to add other than that I definitely had this exact same issue with more than one Feliway diffuser.

I currently live in an apartment with a lot of open space, and so diffusers don't really work in my current environment, so I don't use them anymore. So I never pursued trying to find out if I had defective ones... I instead moved into a space where they weren't practical anymore, and just got rid of them.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Could you send these photos to the manufacturer and/or the store you bought them from? It might be defective, they may notice others have similar complaints and can fix the issue and potentially send you a new one.
Sure thing! I've already sent a message to Feliway via their Contact Us page. If they get back to me, I can include the photos in my response. Fingers crossed that they'll respond though.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have much to add other than that I definitely had this exact same issue with more than one Feliway diffuser.

I currently live in an apartment with a lot of open space, and so diffusers don't really work in my current environment, so I don't use them anymore. So I never pursued trying to find out if I had defective ones... I instead moved into a space where they weren't practical anymore, and just got rid of them.
Yeah, when looking online I saw multiple instances of people saying their diffusers were leaking. None of them including pictures asking about the wick sticking up, so I figured I'd see if anyone else's diffuser looked the same way. It's sad that leaking isn't uncommon. I guess I got lucky with my first one.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To my surprise, I just got a phone call from someone at Ceva about the message I sent. They're going to send a replacement diffuser kit since it hadn't been six months since I bought the leaking one. I'm very pleasantly surprised, as I was not expecting to actually hear back from them, let alone be sent a replacement. That's fantastic customer service!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To my surprise, I just got a phone call from someone at Ceva about the message I sent. They're going to send a replacement diffuser kit since it hadn't been six months since I bought the leaking one. I'm very pleasantly surprised, as I was not expecting to actually hear back from them, let alone be sent a replacement. That's fantastic customer service!
Thanks for updating the thread. This is very good information to know for any of us who may buy them in the future.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're welcome. He did say that the diffusers should be replaced every six months since the plastic breaks down. That seems like a whole lot of plastic being thrown away. The classic diffuser I have lasted 4-5 years before finally starting to feel hot when plugged in.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're welcome. He did say that the diffusers should be replaced every six months since the plastic breaks down. That seems like a whole lot of plastic being thrown away. The classic diffuser I have lasted 4-5 years before finally starting to feel hot when plugged in.
It's unfortunate because a lot of things have become this way. :(
The customer service does sound impeccable. Make sure you keep your receipt in case this should happen again before the 6 month time frame. It's also a good reminder to check those diffusers often!