Feliway and similar products

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems every time people talk about using sprays and diffusers to calm anxious kitties, they only talk about Feliway like no other company is making the same kind of products.

But does that mean I should disregard all other relaxant spray brands? Probably not.

I am interested in exploring all of my options instead of automatically reaching for the Feliway no matter how good it is. When I filtered by high to low prices, Feliway was at the top. That makes me wonder how good the cheaper relaxants are.

I also can't figure out what Comfort Zone is. "Comfort Zone with Feliway" is in one diffuser's title and "Feliway (Comfort Zone) is in an identical diffuser's description without the words "Comfort Zone" in the title. Does that make any sense?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've used two calming sprays, both off brands, and both very effective.  One was Natures Miracle brand.  I don't remember the name of the other, Pet Organics or something like that.  I just buy whatever brand is at petsmart (unlike the diffusers, the sprays are usually reasonably priced.)  I can't figure out if there is a difference between the diffusers either.  I have one, not sure which, and when I order refills they always fit.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That might be it, Emily but the bottle looks different...may have been redesigned.  I haven't seen it at petsmart in a while.  I think Natures Miracle is taking over a lot of their shelf space with all their new products.  But their calming spray worked well for us too.

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think when some people use the term "Feliway", it's like when they use the term "Kleenex" instead of "tissues".  From what I read on a couple of websites a couple of years ago when I first started using it, Feliway is the pheromone and the original name of the product and Comfort Zone is the brand.  I don't know many other brands of "calming diffusers" there are, but definitely be careful because I've learned the hard way that not all diffusers / refills are actually pheromones. 

I normally buy the 6-pack of Feliway diffuser refills on Amazon.  For some reason I didn't have enough refills this month so I got one of another brand at Petco (Pet Ease, I think) not realizing it is essential oils instead of pheromones.  I don't remember which we have where, but I think we have the other brand in our bedroom because there was an 'herbal' smell in there. 

pugsanonymous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feliway and Comfort Zone with Feliway are the exact same product. They are just marketed differently. There are tons of listings with slightly different titles on Amazon because different sellers create the different listings.

A great way to save money on refills is to plug the diffuser into a timer. I read this advice in a review on Amazon a few months ago and have been doing it ever since. I bought a $7 timer and set it to release Feliway every 30 minutes instead of continuously. I also set it to shut off for an hour at a time during certain hours I know they sleep steadily. A bottle lasts at least twice as long this way! I was thinking of cutting it down even further, but recently added a new cat and don't think this is the time to make any changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think when some people use the term "Feliway," it's like when they use the term "Kleenex" instead of "tissues." From what I read on a couple of websites a couple of years ago when I first started using it, Feliway is the pheromone and the original name of the product and Comfort Zone is the brand. I don't know many other brands of "calming diffusers" there are, but definitely be careful because I've learned the hard way that not all diffusers / refills are actually pheromones. 

I normally buy the 6-pack of Feliway diffuser refills on Amazon. For some reason I didn't have enough refills this month so I got one of another brand at Petco (Pet Ease, I think) not realizing it is essential oils instead of pheromones. I don't remember which we have where, but I think we have the other brand in our bedroom because there was an 'herbal' smell in there. 
Essential oils and herbs can also calm some cats. In fact I read in Cat Fancy a vet told her sister to give her cat chamomile tea after a move. I assume pheremones are more effective.

Pet Ease comes in other forms, so if you don't want the herbs in your bedroom, you can put it in your cat's food or on the cat's paw.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz gets stress-induced UTIs, usually when repairmen come over for extended periods and especially if it is different men.

So I use Feliway and Rescue Remedy; the later is an herbal supplement and expensive.  But so is a vet visit.

momcatsix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had excellent results with www.onlynaturalpets.com especially the spirit essence.  I used to buy Feliway but it didn't have the same results.  My Maksey is a real bully with the other cats and since I used the Bully Essence we don't have any more problems.  I rub it on him in the morning and night and he gets very mellow.  Also used the peacemaker essence on my other cats and there is truly peace in my house now

Last edited:

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that EO and herbs can calm some cats, EmilyMayWilcha.  Our boy cat is definitely in that group of cats (as is our boy kitten), but I don't think our girls are affected the same way.  I've noticed that our two girls are less friendly to the kittens in the rooms with the Pet-Ease than in the rooms with the Feliway/Comfort Zone.  They have also started hiding under the dining room table and under the bed in our bedroom again now that the Pet-Ease are in those rooms, yet they are more social and playful in the living room (where we have the Feliway/Comfort Zone). 

The problem is that Pet-Ease is packaged much the same as Feliway/Comfort Zone, and Pet-Ease refill fits the Feliway/Comfort Zone diffuser.  If someone doesn't do their homework beforehand and/or read the package thoroughly, they may think they're getting a pheromone when they are in fact getting an essential oil. This mistake of not reading the package thoroughly has reinforced an important lesson for me.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE feliway diffusers. I don't run it continuously, I only plug it in when there is going to be stress. Sick cat, company (or plumber type worker) coming, if I am going to be working long hours, and so on. In Ootay's :rbheart: last year I had one running continually for her. It made a big difference, I know because I unplugged and left it unplugged for a few days, just to see if I was imagining the benefit, I was not. :)

Essential oils and herbs can also calm some cats. In fact I read in Cat Fancy a vet told her sister to give her cat chamomile tea after a move. I assume pheremones are more effective.

Pet Ease comes in other forms, so if you don't want the herbs in your bedroom, you can put it in your cat's food or on the cat's paw.
Essential oils are very dangerous to cats. Never use essential oils on, in, or around cats.

Feliway and Comfort Zone with Feliway are the exact same product. They are just marketed differently. There are tons of listings with slightly different titles on Amazon because different sellers create the different listings.

A great way to save money on refills is to plug the diffuser into a timer. I read this advice in a review on Amazon a few months ago and have been doing it ever since. I bought a $7 timer and set it to release Feliway every 30 minutes instead of continuously. I also set it to shut off for an hour at a time during certain hours I know they sleep steadily. A bottle lasts at least twice as long this way! I was thinking of cutting it down even further, but recently added a new cat and don't think this is the time to make any changes.
What a great idea. I have advised people who need to use more than one in a larger home to start with all of them plugged in, but after a month just rotate the rooms there is one plugged in, every two weeks or so. But the timer idea is fantastic.

Last edited:

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the Feliaway that we use for Jasper helps. 

Though last month when we had company here- it did NOTHING.  He sprayed everywhere. 

Sigh.  I had inlaws here for 3 days, then my niece came and stayed and then the rest of the family (5 extra people) were here for 2 days.  And I had a graduation party for dd with 20 extra people roaming around HIS house.  Didn't help the cat who is already a nervous wreck.  I don't know if boarding him at the vet would have been a good thing or not.  That reminds me, I need to refill the one in the room that he's constantly marking..........Cheryl                                                                                                

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can anyone tell me if the feliway diffuser has a polarized plug? 
Good question. I just looked at mine, it does not. Mine is 6 years old though, the newer ones may have them.

I couldn't find an answer to that, with a quick search but I did find this very helpful site:

http://catfaeries.com/feliwayfaq.html

There is a good explanation about the packaging and the different names (comfort zone, feliway), they are all the same product.

Here also is the FAQ page of the feliway website:

http://www.feliway.com/us/Frequently-Asked-Questions

» Is the Feliway[emoji]174[/emoji] diffuser device safe?

The Feliway[emoji]174[/emoji] diffuser device was tested and approved by UL (Underwriters Laboratories). Similar devices are widely used as plug-in air fresheners, etc.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
thanks, otto. i was actually hoping it was not. the bottom floor outlets were put in upside down when they were redone after hurricane katrina. so, night lights with polarized plugs are upside-down on the bottom floor and right-side up on the 2nd floor.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks, otto. i was actually hoping it was not. the bottom floor outlets were put in upside down when they were redone after hurricane katrina. so, night lights with polarized plugs are upside-down on the bottom floor and right-side up on the 2nd floor.
The feliway diffuser plug rotates so you can adjust it to go into any socket :)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not if you put it in the bottom. I did this just to show you, I never leave two things plugged into an outlet, but here is the feliway diffuser on the bottom and the toaster oven plugged in above it. However, if I was actually using the toaster oven, I would have unplugged the feliway first, then plugged it back in when I was done with the toaster oven. I have a 'thing' about leaving too many things plugged in.