Feline Stomatitis Back Even After Teeth Extracted

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last August Charlie had a full mouth extraction due to Feline Stomatitis.   He did very well.  However, recently there has been a large flare up despite the extractions.  He is having much difficulty eating at all.  This morning he was taken to the vet for an injection of Depomedrol and antibiotic.

This evening he is still having trouble eating.  I am not certain if or not he is drinking much water.  Strangely, he seems to be content though. 

My main question is if anyone knows how long a steroidal anti-inflammatory takes to work?  

allykat08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, what kind of symptoms does your cat have?

Years ago, I had a cat that (I believe) was misdiagnosed with Stomatitis. I say this because I now have another cat who had the same symptoms as the cat with "stomatitis" but the new cat was diagnosed with an allergy to plastic. I used to put my cats' water and food in plastic bowls, but the new vet said to stop using plastic. Use only glass, porcelain, or stainless steel. It worked! My cat's mouth problems cleared up and he hasn't had any trouble for about 7 years.

I don't know your cat's history - whether you've tried eliminating plastic or what his symptoms are. But I just thought I'd throw this out there as a suggestion.

Good luck with your kitty!

~Ally

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Last August Charlie had a full mouth extraction due to Feline Stomatitis.   He did very well.  However, recently there has been a large flare up despite the extractions.  He is having much difficulty eating at all.  This morning he was taken to the vet for an injection of Depomedrol and antibiotic.

This evening he is still having trouble eating.  I am not certain if or not he is drinking much water.  Strangely, he seems to be content though. 

My main question is if anyone knows how long a steroidal anti-inflammatory takes to work?  
With stomatitis, it's impossible to say, really, espcially if he's already had a full mouth extraction.  Have you heard of that Dallas Syrup?  I don't proclaim to know much about Stomatitis, but have read on this website many people discussing that syrup over the years, with successes.  Your Vet would contact the Dallas Clinic and get all the pertanents. 

Here's a thread that has some info on it:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/282669/dallas-cocktail-full-mouth-extraction