Feline Leukemia Eye issues and Seizure

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I posted ~2 yrs ago ab a 6wk old kitten named "Little Foot" He survived against all odds.

Screenshot_20240329_035923_Samsung Internet.jpg

A family member surrendered him to me a year ago. I had him neutered, vaccinated, including feleuk, and doing good. Then he started having issues from time to time with conjunctivitis.

Here he is after I had him for 6 months.

FB_IMG_1711599288512.jpg

Long story short, at a Vet visit ab 3 months ago he tested a "weak" positive for Feleuk. Over the last cpl of months he has flares where his 3rd eyelid becomes inflamed, and I usually get it under control with steamy showers, cleaning his eyes, and Terramycin.

My Vet didn't seem too concerned as they would clear up pretty quickly. Until this week. I noticed he started tilting his head during this flare. I came in from work last night, picked him up to take him to the bathroom for his "sauna" and eye treatment and he let out the loudest yawl.

I placed him on the floor in the guest bathroom and he had a 30-45 second seizure. :confused2:

My Vet is out until Monday. He gets Gabapentin during the flares if bad, so I started that last might. But I'm questioning if this is time to let "Little Foot" aka Stripe go. :disappointed:

I'm not sure if this is the progression of Feline Leukemia? Any insight appreciated. I'll attach pics from earlier today.

Screenshot_20240328_232336_Video Player.jpg

My little Stripie.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry...... my cats have leukemia and through some miracle they are still alive 5 years later. some cats can fight it off. I would not consider putting your sweet boy down until the seizures become unbearable or he seems really miserable with life.
When my cats had their symptoms in the beginning, and two flareups since, it was all SEVERE respiratory symptoms, difficulty breathing, running eyes, lungs full. Since leukemia lowers their immune response to almost nil, and that is why they catch everything, I started them on DMG, 1/2 mil twice daily at first and then once daily since. Also on LifeGold a supplement for cancers. Both can be found on Amazon, Walmart, Target and pet sites online. It has helped tremendously. I don't know what could cause the seizures, but maybe congestion so bad it is affecting the brain? My one cat who was tested and was positive for FeLV, had lost over half his body weight and was so weak he couldn't stand up. The vet gave him 'days' to live, I started the DMG, he had received an injection of prednisolone too, and he is still here 5 years later! If your cat has developed a tumor, prednisolone would maybe help.
My heart breaks for you both, I pray you get through this and he has many more years with you. But until he quits eating, hides and doesn't come out, continue to love him and give him what comfort you can. You will be blessed for helping him.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is my little buddy, we've been thru so much together! This is absolutely breaking my heart, just wanting to do right by him. I will see ab getting those items. Im so worried ab leaving him alone now. I'm exhausted from checking every little sound I hear, afraid he may be having another seizure. (My son had Tonic Clonic Seizures from 15 - 22. I think this has reignited some type of PTSD from all the worrying I did back then) I pray this turns around and I have many more years with my Stripie!
:hearthrob::redheartpump:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s so hard not to worry yourself sick. Worrying doesn’t help though, in fact it takes precious time away. Live in the moment and know you are giving your precious Stripie what he wants most in this world, a home, care, and most of all your love……