Feline IBD

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As the inflammation goes down motility should improve - at least it has for my one cat.

I’ve had two with IBD. One was diagnosed at 2 years and only responded to very high doses of steroids UNTIL we switched her to Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. That food is all she could eat for the rest of her life but she was 100% symptom free (major diarrhea) without any meds on board. Never quite sure what the underlying issue was. She passed at age 7 from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

My current IBD cat, age 4-5, seems to have food allergies and did NOT respond to RC Gastrointestinal but IS slowly responding to RC Hydrolyzed Protein (Chose not to do steroids for now in case she had an infection). She was also having gut motility issues which was resulting in mild constipation and HAIRBALLS but after almost two weeks on this food she’s starting to pass more normal stool. She’s a DMH and when she blows her winter coat (indoor but I have the heat set at 55 F) it’s unbelievable how much fur is in her belly/poop. So she’ll be on her current “prescription” diet for the rest of her life since it has no animal protein for her to react to and is kind of a blank slate. I tried her on rabbit wet food the other day and found some vomit this morning so I’m crossing my fingers on duck that I have ordered. But the vet warned me she may be one of those cats who can’t eat rabbit or duck OR venison in addition to the normal culprits - chicken, pork, fish, etc. And that’s about all the novel proteins for cats I can find in the States. I hope yours is more like my first cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just don’t understand how she can have hairball blockage just after first blockage within 5 days. First block was removed with endoscope now she has another one