Feline hyperesthesia syndrome

ChickenNoodleSoup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So,

I have a male black cat named Noodle whom I've had for 5 years, since he was a kitten.
I also have a 7 month old son.
Noodle has been in perfect health until our son was born. Noodle has been twitching, itching, scratching and biting himself, running away from nothing, yowling...since our son was born.
We took him into the vet shortly after it started and he was diagnosed with FHS. We did a lot of tests including bloodwork. Unfortunately, they were unable to pinpoint any kind of answer besides stress due to the baby.
He was prescribed steroids and buprenorphine for pain. Obviously the steroids didn't help. The pain meds calmed him down, but I don't want him to spend the rest of his life on opioid.
I don't know what to do. He's in so much pain and I hate seeing him like this. It's an every day thing.
If you were in this situation, would you think it best to find a new relaxing home for Noodle? I hate the idea of saying goodbye to him, but I have to prioritize his health and quality of life over my feelings.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask your vet if there are any calmatives not opiods, that you could try for him, since this is stress related.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might take a look at the article link below for different anxiety meds that could be appropriate for Noodle and discuss options with your vet. There is no guarantee, obviously, but he may very well 'get beyond this' over time, especially since the baby was the likely trigger. It might take a bit longer since this has been going on for 7 months. I have also included a TCS article, which was developed more so for helping prepare a cat for the arrival a baby, but there are probably some tips that could still be helpful.

Also, make sure he has a 'safe haven' that he can go to go to just to 'get away'. If he likes heights, set up a cat tree with enclosed cubes that he can hide in. If he prefers lower-level places, buy or build him a tunnel or similar contraption. Either set up needs to include some toys and blankets/towels with his scent on them for 'security'. It wouldn't hurt to place a few treats in these areas for him to find. Getting him used to using a safe haven now will be even more crucial when your son become a toddler - which isn't far off!

If you can squeeze in some time to interact directly with him a couple times a day that will help over the long haul - as well as other family members - and don't exclude your other cat as appropriate. Routines are very important to all cats, but even more so ones that have high anxiety. So, as much as possible meals, play time, and even quiet times, are most beneficial when they are on a fairly routine schedule.

Types of Anxiety Medication for Cats | PetMD
Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered! – TheCatSite Articles