Feline herpes

21rouge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My son who lives out of town adopted a cat a month or so ago. Not long after one of her eyes was noticeably drippy. He took her to the vet and was given Tobradex in drop form. Understandably he has had such difficulty giving the kitty these drops :mad:. For those of you with experience with this condition what have you found is the best course of action to resolve this condition?

Thank you for your experience.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have found L Lysine to work well and VetriScience DMG. Here are links to both. You can do your own research and determine if these are appropriate. My kitty has feline herpes and presents with watery drippy eyes and sneezing. I have him on Lysine chews and a daily dose of DMG.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was going to suggest the L Lysine, as well. We've had a LOT of member who have had good results with it. Poor kitty. Let us know how he does!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We give our FHV kitty a maintenance dose of L-Lysine and lactoferrin to try to prevent or at least minimize flare ups, and we double the dosage when his eyes get weepy and/or his chronic nasal congestion starts to get worse than usual. And when that fails to do the trick, we've often found prunella vulgaris (Self-Heal) to be helpful.

Oh, and sometimes he gets sores in or around his mouth during flare ups, and homemade slippery elm syrup seems to provide some relief.

But that's after years of trial and error and working with our vet to figure out what works best for him. Hope your son and his vet soon figure out what works best for his kitty. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We give colloidal silver to our herpes kitty. She also gets L-Lysine and Duralactin capsules twice a day. We give her Tobramycin drops in her nose as needed. We actually prefer Gentamycin, but our vet usually has to order it.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry i have repeated this from another thread as it is quite dated, hope someone can help me!

Hi I need help for my senior cat of 14 years old if L-Lysine can help in his case.
My cat, Bean Bean has "noisy" breathing a month ago and so i bring him to the vet. There are some discharge in the eyes, no fever, appetite ok, full bloodwork is fine. The vet say it can be a bout of inflammation, thus prescribe 5 days antibiotics and some airway dilator medicine. The antibiotic has a side effect which makes him vomit and airway dilator medicine has another side effect which makes him lose his appetite.

After a week of the medicine, he is still breathing noisy but not "heavily". After the prescription, his appetite is back. Continues with discharge in the eyes and starts to have wheezing, slightly coughing n running nose. Got another 2-3 days of airway dilator medicine to see if it clears up but no. Appetite is affected again.

We went back to the vet after a few more days and was prescribed with another 10 days of antibiotics and instead of the dilator medicine, we got Broxhemine which clears the phlegm and mucus. He seems slightly better but still sounds quite nasal sometimes. Appetite remains lower than normal but he is still eating on his own and alert in the daytime when not sleeping.

We got a few more Broxhemine to try to clear up the nasal sounds. After a month, there are still noisy breathing occasionally but have been better for the past 1-2 days. I have chanced upon L-Lysine on the help for respiratory issues and immune system, thus got a bottle of "Now Pets L-Lysine for cats".

Sorry for the long story but i need some advice if his symptoms sounds like Herpes or URI as it has never happen before previously and the vet could not pinpoint any specific illness. Is it fine for me to give him the L-Lysine in small dosage (bottle says 1/8 teaspoons - 276mg twice daily) to see the effect if it helps him ?

Just a note that my senior cats previously was diagnosed with diabetes but has been in remission for 10 months and slightly elevated for one liver value now.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spoken to my vet and she is also good with giving L-Lysine as supplement for overall immune system support as well. Thus we are doing the 500mg twice a day dose now and monitoring.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 rescue kittens—8 wks and 10wks old. I adopted both last weekend. They both came to me sneezing. We had a vet check up and he prescribed me lysine, as well. 500mg daily. It’s about 4 days in and I don’t see a change. I’m very nervous. Praying the symptoms don’t get worse. I keep checking their eyes and they seem fine, but I’ve noticed in the morning they wheeze a little bit.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lotusflwr79 Lotusflwr79 Hi ~ when checking my cat symptoms, i chanced upon some threads or articles about cats having a bout of cat flu due to stress or new environment etc.

As you kittens are just adopted, maybe they need time to adjust to the environment and the stress of the new place and people?
If their appetite is fine, drinking of water is regular and no other effects like discharge in the eyes, i think helping them to feel at ease or give them spaces they can hide and slowly get use to people and place might be good to them?

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they seem fine— eating, drinking, playing, energetic, no runny eyes— they love each other!! The vet is going to get back to me bc they came from kill shelters and praying they didn’t pick anything else up from other kitties. Hopefully it’s just their immune system needs to build up.