Feline Herpes Virus

WoodsHafen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,
I am new to this site and looking for advice. My cattery has been infected with the Herpes Virus. My 4 cats are now on end of its acute stage and I finally feel as though I can breathe. This virus was very scary and came on quickly. They are currently on Lysine 500mgs 2 X a day, Azithromycin to manage the secondary infection they acquired while in the acute stage of the virus, and Famciclovir. They are also on probiotics. Are there any other vitamins or meds they should be given?
I also would like to know if breeders manage this virus and continue to breed their cats, and if so, what is your protocol?
Thanks

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know at least my cats breeder chose to breed after fhv, and sold me a sick cat. My cat had to spend months in vet care (some of which was in ER) which costed double of what I paid for him, and now he has permanently damaged lungs. I don't know if there is a way for a breeder to breed after an infection without causing something like this to happen, but if not you shouldn't breed them. I would hate to see other people go through what I and Count had to go through.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, from the potential buyer perspective (and in the unlikely case that I ever decide to get purebred cat, it would be oriental, I just love their ears and personality :)) I cannot imagine spending that much money without written guarantee and proof that the kitten is free from any disease at the moment of purchase, including a inactive viral one. I don’t think if excluding “infected” cats from breeding is enough, new kittens could easily get it from the mentioned 4 cats anyway, so I’m not sure if there’s way to ensure the virus free environment in your case. And even if, personally I would ask if the whole catery is free from the viruses. But I hope there’s an ethical way to continue this for you, good luck.