Feline herpes virus : Does he look he has it??.

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got all vaccines last year and he’s healthy, active.
Last week, he just all of sudden had a red, swollen eye on right side and ER vet prescribed a tomblyine (?) antibiotic eye drop.
His eye healed up and looks normal.
However, today, ER said his upper respiratory test result came out positive.
That vet clinic is notorious place in town ( Did not know before a visit) and many pet owners suing a vet.
I think I have to see my regular vet but it will be next month available.

He’s been only an indoor for over a year and he hasn’t contacted any other cats over a year. He may see other cat in ER clinic.
I am just hoping they just lie. Many are accused of their lie, misdiagnosis…

Is feline herpes a life threatening?
how can it be cured?
Is there other symptoms on this?

He looks normal and healed up but should give him L-lysine, an amino acid dietary supplement???

I have a regular vet appointment 3 weeks later. Do you think if he’s okay without L-lysine? I can’t trust ER vet we went to because they have a bad reputation.

8E3E13C0-2EFF-4E1D-ABCE-2E2E09272AAF.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Your cat is a cutie! How old is he, and how long have you had him? Is it possible that he actually had the herpes infection before he was vaccinated, and 'recovered' from it? Neither the vaccines or recovery from the initial infection will guarantee that he might not have flare ups from time to time. It is not generally considered life threatening, especially in cases where a cat has recovered from the initial infection and when any flare ups that might occur are mild - which if that is what your cat had, it sounds like it was reasonably mild.

I would email the report to your vet and ask to speak with them via phone while you wait for the actual appt. Your vet may tell you to wait until they can see him, or they may advise you on some interim steps you can take in the meantime. I personally don't feel that you have any real reason to believe that this is not totally manageable.

I don't know what all you have read about the herpes virus, but here is one pretty informative article if you haven't seen it already. There are other articles, but many of them are only addressing the initial infection, which I suspect may have happened before his vaccines last year.
Feline Herpesvirus (FHV-1) - Veterinary Specialty Center (vetspecialty.com)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you ☺
He is 1 year and 8 months now.
Yes, test may be right and he may have a mild herpes virus but I found ER vet I went to is currently sued by many customers for misdiagnosis, wrong Treatment so I think I have to see his regular vet to retest.
I appreciate for the articles and will read.
Currently, I am happy his eye is normal.