Feline herpes or something else?

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone so let me give you a background of my girl Zuki

Zuki is a 12.5 yo female domestic short hair. For as long as I can remember she has always had colds off and on throughout her life.
As of 2 maybe 3 years ago (time blurs) she had polyp removed from her left ear. She was getting a reoccurring ear infection. Since the removal he ears have been fantastic.

Now we get the heart of the real problem.
CONGESTION

This cat is full of snot, sneezing, snot flinging all kinds of yuck. She was diagnosed with feline herpes for our local vet. Let me emphasize on LOCAL. We are currently stationed in a small remote Alaskan town until this summer (thank goodness) so getting 2nd 3rd 4th opinions is not an option, not until we move in May atleast. We have treated her off and on with doxy when this congestion turns into a upper respiratory infection. The vet doesn't think anything is lodged in her nostrils. We are just at a loss as to whats causing the constant congestion.

Also take note where we live we are located in the Tongass National Rainforest. Yes I know crazy! A rainforest in Alaska. But it is. And it rains
all...the...damn...time (Sucks!) So this area is crawling with mold. We had a theory its a mold issue for the longest time. Maybe outside mold?
Well.... 1 week ago we discovered mold under our bathroom flooring. Could this be causing the issue? It seems since we moved to Alaska her nasal issues have been consistent. We intend on discussing this with our landlord when we get back from out of town (as we don't feel comfortable repairmen coming and going when we are out of town)

Any thoughts or experiences please. Its become frustrating and I worry about her age with these issues =(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got something called Feline HomeoPet Nose Relief on Amamzon for my little one with Leukemia who keeps getting colds too. 5 drops in food or a tiny bit of liquids and within three days he was MUCH better. They usually go on for at least two weeks. He was severely congested and was sneezing and constantly shaking his head. He was at the point where he was mouth breathing and refusing to eat. Since his immune system is so compromised I give him drops of Vertiscience Vetri-DMG too which is supposed to help with that. So far, so good. I have quit the drops now,as instructed, when his congestion got better. It wouldn't hurt to try it.
The mold could definitely contribute to any allergies yoru cat amy have. The landlord should definitely take care of it and have the house checked. Good luck!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's allergy, the best way is basically to follow all allergy rules and see how it goes. I would start with airborne allergens. Like removing all the mold. In case it's dust mite allergy, follow the tips for dust mite allergy. In case it's pollen/a plant, remove the plants.

Dust mite one requires the most work but others aren't that difficult.

I suggest monitoring her general health as well to check her immune system. Does she get yearly check-up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got something called Feline HomeoPet Nose Relief on Amamzon for my little one with Leukemia who keeps getting colds too. 5 drops in food or a tiny bit of liquids and within three days he was MUCH better. They usually go on for at least two weeks. He was severely congested and was sneezing and constantly shaking his head. He was at the point where he was mouth breathing and refusing to eat. Since his immune system is so compromised I give him drops of Vertiscience Vetri-DMG too which is supposed to help with that. So far, so good. I have quit the drops now,as instructed, when his congestion got better. It wouldn't hurt to try it.
The mold could definitely contribute to any allergies yoru cat amy have. The landlord should definitely take care of it and have the house checked. Good luck!
Thank you for the suggestion. We will look into this. And I plan on being very proactive in making sure he tends to the mold