Feline Glaucoma

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. My cat was diagnosed with glaucoma last month. He is 11. He literally went from perfectly fine to "something is wrong" in mere hours. We noticed he was spooked looking at things on the floor, crying and then we noticed that one of his pupils was much larger than the other. We were able to have him seen by an opthamologist the following night who confirmed his eye pressure was 71 (normal is 15-25). He was in a lot of pain and good thing we did not wait any longer as his retina were in jeopardy. Within 5 days of 3x daily eye drops, his pressure was normal and he was in much better spirits but not entirely his 100% self. We recently had a follow up with another opthamologist who did a very thorough exam and changed his meds to a 2x daily eye drop. His pressure is almost too low, but the Dr did not seem overly concerned. This new med caused his pupil to be very contracted compared to good eye. I guess that is normal, but waiting for a call back from the Dr today .
I was hoping others who have cats with glaucoma could share experiences with treatment and long term prognosis. I know glaucoma can't be cured but would like to know how long he can be treated with drops. Thanks.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did your Vet ever get back with you? I don't have any specific answers for you as for as how long he can be treated with drops, but I'm guessing forever, since it can't be cured. Did you discuss options with your Vet?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Sorry I don't have any experience with this- hoping the drops help keep things feeling better for your baby. I would call the vet for follow up instructions and ask questions-they may have to research the answers but hopefully they have some kind of treatment plan for you.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have any experience with glaucoma in cats, but with humans, the disease is a hereditary condition that eventually leads to total blindness in time. The eye drops daily merely slows down the growing pressure that is happening behind the eyeball. I know my grandmother was diagnosed with glaucoma when she was 65 years old. She lived to be 97, but was virtually blind when she passed. My father, on the other hand was diagnosed at age 40, started the eye drops right away. By the time he passed, at age 83 he could still see, but his vision was none the less very poor. The drops do not prevent eventual blindness, only retard the process somewhat. I would imagine the process would be the same for animals, but just like what the others said, you will need to get the answers from a qualified vet.

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suffer from cataracts and have been using this product for about four months, it has improved my eyesight and they say it can be used for dogs. My friends used it on their dog and it did help so I don't see why it wouldn't work for cats too.

Can-C™ Cataract Eye Drops

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
it would have to be cleared by a vet to be used on cats. Cats have different enzymes that may or may not break down the chemicals in that product. Sometimes we can use dog products on cats but it's rare. I would def run it by the ophthalmologist before using.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did your Vet ever get back with you? I don't have any specific answers for you as for as how long he can be treated with drops, but I'm guessing forever, since it can't be cured. Did you discuss options with your Vet?
The vet said the new eye drops do cause pupil contraction but it is completely normal and will not impair his vision at all. Just looks super weird! The vet did say the drops will work until they don't and couldn't offer a time period, as it is different for each patient. Just a wait-and-see. Thanks!