Feline Future/Feline Instincts?

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, can you guys tell me what you think of the Feline Future and Feline Instincts supplements? I really am interested in getting Ricky Bobby on an all Raw diet, I'm just really nervous about going the whole prey or Franken Prey route for some reason. i've been doing quite a bit of research on it all and am leaning towards using ground meat and liver and adding one of those supplements. Plus supplementing with chicken necks, wings & tips, ribs and cornish hens with softer bones for teeth and jaw health. Can anyone give me their experience using either of these supplements. with enough resources and research would it be possible for me to duplicate those supplements without paying all that $$$ for those brands? You know what I mean. I'm pretty comfortable in saying I can find good sources for "organic" ground meat, ie grass fed beef, free range chicken and turkey, and every now and then rabbit. will that be enough variety. For a higher price I have access to Ground Lamb, Goat, and Bison, but those are very pricey but i am very interested in getting them. From the same source I can get regular meat, beef, chicken, lamb, goat, I can get chunks of meat, hearts from all of those animals, livers, spleens and kidneys. The only thing missing would be a bone source. I'm just really nervous about getting the percentages right, getting him the bone/calcium he's need. I'm much more comfortable doing ground with supplements, at least at this point. so any thought or experiences for me?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my vet sells it in her office... I ?? a few ingredients but it is decent

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first started feeding raw I used the Feline Instincts supplement with ground meat and liver I bought. I also fed Natures Variety raw which is a complete food (no need to add supplements). I found that to be a very easy "first step" into raw feeding.

The Feline Instincts is hideously expensive though. I only used it until I found a reliable source for heart and pre-ground meat that includes bone. When you provide bones and organs the only needed supplements are easily obtained from a health store or pharmacy and are *much* less expensive than the FI.

I use the recipe found here:

http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks Sharky and Mschauer.

Sharky, can you tell me which ingredients you ???

I also found one called Alnutrin. I'm really liking the way this one looks. Here's the ingredients: ngredients: Egg yolk powder, calcium carbonate, taurine, iodized salt, vitamin E, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc oxide, vitamin D3, folic acid, vitamin B12, vitamin B1. Here's info from their website regarding indredient info: Alnutrin Supplements Ingredient Facts
Selected Certificates of Origin are available upon your request.

Calcium

Is supplemented in the form of calcium carbonate from food grade, fine ground limestone. The country of origin is USA. Of all the minerals, calcium is required in the greatest amount. In the future we would like to use calcium carbonate from egg shells. Unfortunately we have not found a reliable source for this product yet.

Copper, Iron and Manganese

These micro-minerals are added in form of the tasteless amino acid chelates. The country of origin is USA. You can find out more about the advantages of chelated minerals at this location.

Sodium, Potassium and Chloride

Are added as food grade sodium chloride and potassium chloride (table salt). The country of origin for both is USA.

Zinc

Added in form of zinc oxide. The country of origin is USA.

Vitamin E

Is added in a natural form of mixed tocopherols. The country of origin is USA. Mixed tocopherols are manufactured from vegetable oils. They include alpha, beta, gamma and delta tocopherols. Recent studies have suggested that alpha-tocopherol (the most common form of tocopherol added to food products and supplements) may not yield the much purported health benefits unless it’s combined with the gamma-tocopherol form. Though gamma-tocopherol may be less potent as an antioxidant than alpha-tocopherol, research suggests its configuration enables it to better trap and quench reactive nitrogen oxide species. These dangerous free radical compounds are formed in excess during an inflammatory episode. Gamma-tocopherols unique ability to provide protection against these damaging reactive nitrogen oxide species makes it an extremely important weapon in the battle against heart disease, brain disease and cancer. You can find more info about the benefits of mixed tocopherols in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 74, No. 6, 714-722, December 2001.

Vitamin D

Is supplemented in the form of cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) with vitamin E added as an antioxidant. The country of origin is Switzerland. This product does not contain the synthetic antioxidants butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) or butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA). While some studies indicate BHT and BHA are safe, other studies demonstrate that they cause cancer in rats, mice, and hamsters. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services considers BHA to be “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen.” Nevertheless, the Food and Drug Administration still permits BHA to be used in pet foods.

Vitamin B1, B12 and Folic Acid

The country of origin for all three products is USA.

Taurine

The country of origin is Japan. Most mammals manufacture taurine from other amino acids. However, cats are not able to do that in a sufficient amount and, therefore, must acquire enough additional taurine through their diet.

Iodine

Is added as potassium iodide. The country of origin is USA.

Egg Yolk Powder

The country of origin is USA. We use a pure dry egg yolk free of “flow agents” and other additives. It is an excellent natural source of choline, biotin and other vitamins and minerals.

It looks a lot simpler (ingredient wise) than Feline Future/Instincts. the only thing with me for that one is the calcium is from limestone, i'd rather it be from eggshell or bone meal. How does that one look compared to Feline Future? I'm leaning towards Alnutrin, i've seen great things about it on another board for cat nutrition.

Mschauer, I'll probably go the route you did. Use this until i'm confortable with my knowledge and experience. I'm purchasing a few books on cat nutrition, so I can get a good foundation on what i'm doing. in the mean time i think i'd be really comfortable using one of those supplements. I just want what's best for my kitty, and from what i've seen, commercial pet food is not what's best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have another question, if anyone can help me out? I do plan on using the Alnutrin and *hopefully* feeding raw exclusively. However on weekdays, both DH & I have full time jobs, plus we go to the gym after work, so it'll be about 10 hrs until I can feed RB again. I plan on feeding him in the morning, making sure he eats, pick whatever is leftover up about 20-25 min after i put it down. Now I've heard 2 different things on this. I've heard that cats eat several small meals a day, so they need to eat frequently. That seems to be when a cat is being fed kibble. In the research i'm doing for raw feeding, I'm hearing that it's good to allow 8-12 hours in between feedings to allow for proper digestion and absorption of the nutrients. so bottom line, will i be ok leaving him all day without food like that? I probably won't start this for another month or so, i want to gather more info and knowledge, get my meat sources straight, get a kitchen scale and blender(I'm just going to start off with a blender, I'll invest in a grinder later on down the road) and finish the bag of Blue Wilderness I just bought him. So I have a little time to get everything straight.

brooklynlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What mschauer said. I still keep some Feline Future around just in case because the supplements are simple and convenient. $10 worth of store bought chicken added to $25 worth of supplements gives you 1 month worth of food for about a buck a day.

mschauer, whose your source?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LayItDown

Ok, I have another question, if anyone can help me out? I do plan on using the Alnutrin and *hopefully* feeding raw exclusively. However on weekdays, both DH & I have full time jobs, plus we go to the gym after work, so it'll be about 10 hrs until I can feed RB again. I plan on feeding him in the morning, making sure he eats, pick whatever is leftover up about 20-25 min after i put it down. Now I've heard 2 different things on this. I've heard that cats eat several small meals a day, so they need to eat frequently. That seems to be when a cat is being fed kibble. In the research i'm doing for raw feeding, I'm hearing that it's good to allow 8-12 hours in between feedings to allow for proper digestion and absorption of the nutrients. so bottom line, will i be ok leaving him all day without food like that? I probably won't start this for another month or so, i want to gather more info and knowledge, get my meat sources straight, get a kitchen scale and blender(I'm just going to start off with a blender, I'll invest in a grinder later on down the road) and finish the bag of Blue Wilderness I just bought him. So I have a little time to get everything straight.
unless this is a kitten under 6 months 10 hours without food is fine .... in a perfect world cats graze all day but this world aint perfect

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by brooklynlou

What mschauer said. I still keep some Feline Future around just in case because the supplements are simple and convenient. $10 worth of store bought chicken added to $25 worth of supplements gives you 1 month worth of food for about a buck a day.

mschauer, whose your source?
I ordered it through their website.

wonderwoman7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Feline Instincts for all of my cats needs and I don't find it, as you put it, hideously expensive. And I'm on a "beer budget"! Ever heard the term, "you get what you pay for"?

My Natural Cat is a high quality product and super concentrated as it is, therefore will last far longer than the least expensive products that you find where you have to use double or triple the measure to make one recipe. 

I have used them all and believe me, you won't find better quality anywhere on the map. 

On top of that, their new book will save you money at the vet. It is loaded with information and tender, poignant stories that you will want to keep it within reach for reference.

I have one word for Feline Insincts: Excellence 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it depends on your definition of hideously expensive. According to the product web site the large package of the premix with liver costs $48.00 and makes 20 lbs of finished food. So it adds $2.40/lb to the cost of the finished food. Considering I can get boneless chicken thighs for around $2/lb that means the Feline Instincts premix about doubles the cost of the food. Even though this thread is almost 4 years old that still qualifies as hideously expensive in my book.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Alnutrin, which I order from HareToday. I recently started using the supplement, more for my own peace of mind, better safe than sorry, type of thing.  I also give Ritz Krill oil around three times a week.

I feed Frankenprey, have for well over a year.  I transitioned Ritz from Fancy Feast Classic seafood to commercial raw to FP in about three weeks (a little too fast, but that's another story).  She loves all the kinds of meat I've given her, from chicken, pork, goose, venison, llama, quail, rabbit.

I too am gone for 11 to 12 hours a day during the week.  I feed Ritz around 6 a.m. and then feed her when I get home from work around 6:30 p.m.  Only rarely does she throw up after the 6:30 p.m. and that's because she's gone too long without food.  But Ritz has been a puker, even before I switched to raw, so that just may be her.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ritz, you feed Frankenprey with bones, right? 

I'm feeding Darko boneless Frankenprey, hoping someday to get him to eat some bones, but until then I use the Alnutrin with eggshell powder so he gets his calcium, plus the other supplements.  The other two are still eating ground mixes from HT, so for them I use the Alnutrin without any calcium. 

BUT, I have been looking at this Feline Instincts for Callie, simply because they make a premix for kidney support, which she now needs.  I'm glad to see the glowing review for this product.  Just wish they had samples, because Callie is so picky, she may not like the taste.  Kind of like how some cats love COTW, and some cats hate it.  I contacted them,and they said their "samples" were the smaller packages
(the ones that make up 4 lbs of food)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I *knew* I forgot to say something

Yes, I feed Ritz bones, and the Alnutrin supplement is for people who feed protein/organs/bones.

I fed about 7% bone, Ritz tends to get constipated easily, though she loves bones, primarily from quail and rabbit.  She never cared for chicken wings.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it depends on your definition of hideously expensive. According to the product web site the large package of the premix with liver costs $48.00 and makes 20 lbs of finished food. So it adds $2.40/lb to the cost of the finished food. Considering I can get boneless chicken thighs for around $2/lb that means the Feline Instincts premix about doubles the cost of the food. Even though this thread is almost 4 years old that still qualifies as hideously expensive in my book.
I agree! It costs a little over $1/day to feed all three cats raw at my house. I use a modified catinfo.org recipe with beef added; still using the same supplements.

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I purchased a trial size to see if my cats would like it before buying a larger pack.  The cost of the sample was 14.00 and the shipping was 11.00.  The amount of mix was equal to about 1 cup.  The weight of the package was about 1 oz.  UPS or Postal service in no way costs that much.  My cats and the feral cats outside snuffed at the food regardless.  I am trying to remain open minded and logical and to feed raw seems logical; however, how do you explain my friend's cat who purchases a giant bag of dry food every six months, store it in a plastic container and their cat is almost 20?!