Feline dynamics when adding a 3rd?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Need a little advise here.

My foster family of momma and her 3 kittens have all been adopted out. As some of you may know I tried to keep momma, but she was extremely territorial and I had to rehome her as an only cat. She is doing great and is in a good home now. I get pics and email updates!  I now have room for 1 more kitty. My 2 current kitties are almost 2yrs old. They had lived in terror of Cali for months, but seem to have recovered to their old selves nicely. So I feel like I'd like to rescue another. Am I crazy? Everyone around me here at home is telling me not to. That my cats have just reclaimed their cat room and I should just leave them be. Really...they seem unfazed by the past. I just feel if I have the ability and room for another, I should. Cali left in Feb, approx 1 month ago. Is it still too soon to try and introduce another?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, this one made me delay getting a third too.

lt likely depends on the remaining two cats' dynamic. Have they re-established their hierarchy? Do you think it's well-enough established to withstand a temporary upheaval? Are the two well bonded?

When l decided to get my third, l had a very well-bonded pair with one being in the paternal alpha role. The other was the bratty "baby" of the family. Once the kitten arrived, the paternal alpha male (all neutered males) was very accepting and took care of the kitten, while the younger (now middle) adult had to adjust his role and behaviour in accordance with his new position in the hierarchy. lt took him weeks to settle down and accept the kitten.

Now, 7 months later, they get along beautifully, and the two older guys as still as bonded as they were previously.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, my 2 are very bonded. They are brother and sister. Never been sure which of them is the alpha though. Though I think my female is. When we had the momma (Cali), Babygirl refused to relinquish her high spots, while my male Boots hid in the cabinets. They never acted aggressive towards Cali, they just were defensively hissing and growling when she'd approach. Mainly due to Cali constantly making sure they stayed right where they were and not roam into her territory, which was the whole house. When I'd put Cali away to give them a break, they'd revert right back to themselves, though always on the look out. And though it took them a few days to realize she was no longer in the house, they were otherwise their usual selves. No behavior issues.

I honestly think they (meaning my 2) wanted to be friends with Cali. When Cali was in HER room, my cats would hang out outside the door and they'd even play under the door. Which is why I kept trying everything to keep her.

Anyway, just not sure if enough time has passed, and it's safe to try again. I'm keeping my eye out anyway for the right fit. I'd think another, who's  close to their age would be best. I'd like to rescue an older cat as I know they are so much harder to place. Anyone know if it would make a difference if male or female with 1 of each already in the house?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my last post I kinda answered my own question.
I think my 2 can handle another cat if of the right temperament....

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely recommend a male.

Females are usually the boss cats in the home, and males naturally accept this, (with the exception of uneutered males in a colony) while females will nearly always struggle with who is top cat.

Trust me when I say, alot of times 2 females will always struggle with this, even years later which is in my personal cats case, Krissy (pictured on my posts) I got the day she was born, was and still is the baby and runs the show, (she is about to turn 11 ) but 6 years ago I rescued Simone, and she has def. alpha cat traits, and after all these years, they STILL are always having issues, Simone wants badly to take over, and Krissy struggles to maintain her position.

Get a male :) Sooo much easier that way!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all.

Oh yes, I sure do know the right way to introductions. I  have to agree a male would be best, after I thought about it more.

I tend to get right to things, once I make up my mind. So...... a new addition will be here on Sat. A male, approx 1 yr old. I introduced him in New Cats on the block. He's a bit rough looking, still needs neutering and testing. All of that is being done tomorrow. I hope I made the right decision. I'm still getting flack from my boyfriend for doing this.

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd update with our progress.

Jack Frost moved in 2 weeks + a couple of days ago now. He is a very docile 9 month old.  He spent a week and 1/2 in isolation in the kitty room, post neutering and defleaing, while scent exchanges and feeding was done through the closed door. This past Weds he was let out for short periods and supervised visitation with my 2. My male was afraid of him at first, but seems to have realized that Jack is so laid back that he can actually bully him a little. Each day Jack was allowed out for longer periods and  is now out almost full time. The 2 boys have formed a semi friendship. Jack follows Boots around, even though Boots is like.."get away kid..your bothering me"..but with no aggression. My female is still keeping her distance right now, but is not AS afraid of him as she was on day 1. I still put him away when I am not at home and at night, mainly now to give my female a break, but I am amazed at the difference this introduction is as compared to how things were when I tried to do the same with Cali. Jacks personality is a perfect fit. So glad I made this decision to try again.

Here are a few pics of Boots and Jack together:

Now just need to work on getting "The Queen" to except him. lol