Feline companion for cat who loves human attention?

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Millie (2 year old Ragamuffin) loves human attention. She's really good, when I'm on a zoom or a phone call, she just situates herself in her basket next to my computer and waits patiently for me to finish up, even if it interrupts a play session. But I'm currently working outside of the home (moonlighting during American tax season :nerd:) for just 4 hours a day, after I finish my work-from-home workday/day job, and when I come home she sprints over to greet me and talks to me / rubs up against me / won't leave my side for about half an hour. I don't mind at all- I really enjoy getting to love on her right when I get home :hearthrob: BUT in a matter of months, I'll be working from the office at least 3 days a week again, and I'm worried that her greeting means that she's stressed or lonely already when I'm gone, and that it'll get worse when I'm gone longer. Make sense? Okay so that's the problem part. Here's my proposed solution:

Would it help if I adopted a kitten? She is 2 years old and still very playful and active. She came to me from a home with a lot of cats. I guess I'm just asking - does having a feline companion help a cat who's very attached to her owner with separation anxiety and loneliness? Or does it just help reduce boredom/increase playtime?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

It depends on the cats.

My cat is an only, and extremely happy to be just that since he isn't interested in sharing anything, including whatever lap he's decided to make use of :)

That said, maybe it could help, although consider that you're already "breaking it to her gently" with the four hours away now. Plus there's a big caveat; a kitten might completely change the current dynamics of her behavior towards you.

More than likely she's asleep while you're gone. You could set up a camera to see what she's up to. I think that cat music, set on a timer so it's not on the entire day, could be a possible and quite viable option. There's Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, there's RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats, as well as the radio if she's interested. Additionally, if you are able to, you could hang a bird feeder outside a window she can use, or try some nature videos to play while you're gone etc.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have an only as well, and one that reacts fairly badly to even the sight of another cat. If I've been out and have petted a cat, I have to thoroughly wash my hands before going near her, or there is a real issue. Hiss and swat issue. Only cats can be very content, even when their owner/guardian is away all day. They have cat-chores, you know. Sleep, nibble kibble, sleep, bat various things around the room, sleep, use the litter box, sleep. Honestly, cats sleep from 15-20 hours a day. Most of the time you are gone, she's snoozing. But a cat cam is a great idea! If she is spending a lot of time roaming, looking for you, then another cat may be a good thing for you. Just be sure to try to match your new fur baby's personality and energy levels to your resident girl's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, Furballsmom Furballsmom and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ! I would definitely be really upset if she held a long-term grudge over my adding a cat-sibling, which is what holds me back.

I actually have a security camera that catches some of the action - after I leave, she watches the door for a while (~10 minutes), then sleeps, then gets up and paces around meowing and picking up fuzzy balls, which she carries around the apartment while she continues meowing?? This goes on for 15-20 minutes, with breaks (she'll just stop and stand in the middle of the room with the balls in her mouth). Then she'll drop the balls and play by herself, go nap again, repeat the balls/meowing thing, play for a few minutes, and then nap again. Sorry, this probably isn't very interesting (but it is to me!) Does that sound like she's anxious or overly bored? This schedule started in early January, but at first it was only two evenings per week whereas now it's most evenings and a half day each on Saturday and Sunday.

I will try the music for cats!! I hadn't thought about using it in this situation but I know she likes it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, so she is doing some cat chores, wondering when you'll be home, then doing some cat chores again. And it IS interesting to us! Try introducing more toys to keep her busy. Do you have a cat tree? Or something placed by a window, where she can lounge and watch "The Neighborhood Channel" would be great! There are also some videos on Youtube for cats. One of them is about 8 hours long! And my cat is fascinated with watching the various birds and squirrels...which amazed me, since she doesn't otherwise pay attention to the tv at all! That could eat up some time for her, if you have a smart TV. And Youtube is a free subscription.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree,a cat tree and some baby blankets to sleep on. Also chew toys. One of my cats,Maggie, is very attached to me. She is excited when I come home. She does not like cats taking over her territory. My cat peaches is very friendly to everyone except doesn't play as much with my cat maggie. I think partly because Maggie is bigger and more rambunctious. Or a ripple rug. Your cat will mostly sleep til it's time to eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both!!! :) I am a cat lady and I probably should’ve said - she has 5 cat trees (at least one in each room plus an extra in the bigger rooms), windows open always, no bird feeders allowed but we get tons of birds around here. All that and! two tunnels (one crinkle, one non-crinkle), a ton of toys that are out all the time (fuzzy balls, foam-ish balls, large soft bouncy balls, coil springs, all kinds of shapes and sizes of catnip toys, soft mice, balls with bells), toys that are reserved for when I’m playing with her (minimum 30 very focused minutes per day, plus we work on clicker training), window perches in each window, two cat shelves, a crinkle mat and various soft blankets and scratching posts - 🤣 Hmm wait a minute, maybe I don’t need a side gig four months a year, maybe I just need to block Chewy on my computer!

Anyway, I have not tried YouTube at all - I’ll give that a shot tomorrow!! I might try to make my own cat puzzle toy too - she likes trying to get things out of boxes, cracks, etc 🤔 It’s a relief to hear that she’s not acting like she’s super anxious!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've actually been having a lot of the same concerns. Based on what she does when I'm home (teaching from home for a few days due to weather), mostly she's sleeping. She just does it in the cat tree next to my desk.If I go into my bedroom for more than 30 min she follows me there. She has plenty of toys to play with while I'm at work and food in her timed feeder. Actually she's gotten to the point where, unless I'm really late and she's hungry, she's waiting in my bedroom because she knows I'm going to go there and pass out for an hour when I get home.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One easy toy is a couple of dried beans in an empty toilet paper tube, fold the ends in and tape or hot glue securely.