Feline Asthma?

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Abby has had four times in past month had wet sounding coughing. Usually after eating and having a drink and then laying down with me for a nap.
At first thought she need to throw up but I noticed the last two times she sort of crouches lower. Why do cats always get sick on weekends after the vet closes. Now because of covid my vet only takes appointments that are 6 weeks out.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Can you run the hot water from the shower in your bathroom with the door closed? Once you notice it's steamed up bring her in with you. This may help break up the cough. If she starts to cough more frequently or shows any sign of discomfort/pain and you can't bring her to your vet please take her to an emergency veterinary clinic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you run the hot water from the shower in your bathroom with the door closed? Once you notice it's steamed up bring her in with you. This may help break up the cough. If she starts to cough more frequently or shows any sign of discomfort/pain and you can't bring her to your vet please take her to an emergency veterinary clinic.
With Covid the vets near me are by appointment only and 6 weeks out. I hope I don't have to go to an emergency clinic. The closest is 24 miles. The stress on her would be.
This freaked me out because I lost Sassea to respiratory issues after a visit to the vet 5 yrs ago.

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Abby went 3 months without any coughing episodes and then I was holding her up (she was standing on her hind feet) to brush her belly which she hates and when I let go she had one of her worst coughing episodes. A harsher sounding cough and then like something in her moved so she swallowed hard and it did it once more. But she is not arched up like hacking a fur ball. Her shoulders are low.

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there! Sorry to hear about your kitty's cough. It might be asthma or it might be something else. My guy has asthma, and while he does crouch while coughing I wouldn't describe his cough as 'wet'. I shared a video of one of his episodes in my post history if you'd like to check for reference. His coughing fits before we started treatment were also not associated with specific actions like eating or drinking.

Vets can x-ray to check for asthma signs, though if the case is very mild they will not always be present. I know a number of things can cause coughing, so if you can and you're worried it's likely worth chatting with your vet about possible causes.

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Abby (she went about 2 months with no cough) had an appointment in May with the vet for shots and annual and preliminary investigate cough and everything went wrong. The only thing they accomplished was the shot and traumatizing her. Because of Covid they are doing curbside service and I could not go in with her. She went full on defensive. Because of her poor sight she knows she has no alternative but to stand her ground and fight if she is not home. They apologized to me for not cleaning the poop off her fur and handed me tranquilizers for the next visit. I can't do the tranquilizer thing. She was so sick when a kitten that even the vet was not sure and I am afraid to find out her reaction on the dosage.
She will soon be going to another vet for a meet & greet type visit. They will let me come in with her and have just a minute with just her and I in the room before they come in. Then they can come in and see her (she likes people on her own terms) and gently do an annual exam as she allows. I bought her a new smaller carrier and some Feliway wipes for the carrier. She loves being brushed so I will take hers and just see if she will remain calm.