Feline Asthma And Heating Pad?

Tuileries

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My 11 year old cat, Sophie, was just diagnosed with severe feline asthma. Although I know there is no cure, Sophie has improved so very much since those first medicines and I expect we will be able to manage well working with our vet.

He told me to keep her inside (which I already do), in an air-conditioned space clear of potential allergens. I have severe asthma and allergies, and we are in South Georgia, so the A/C is a given as is the clean, low-allergen house.

In the past, Sophie has really loved sitting on her heating pad. I think it might help with her joints and also with the A/C, as I need it about 65/66 degrees for other health reasons. After the vet visit, I bought her a new one to ensure we start out clean, but I wonder if sitting on it would aggravate her asthma? I don't want her to be cold, but I also don't want to make it hard for her to breathe.

Thanks for any input!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stewart has asthma that has been well controlled since we got him to lose weight. It seems like we only have to give him albuterol once or twice a month. I thought that it would be worse this season with the heater on in an old house, but he loves sleeping up against the heat register with that warm air blasting all over him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's fine to let an asthma cat use a heating pad. The pad won't do anything to the asthma. If you're still super worried, try a self-heating pad instead. Cold air can make it hard for asthmatics to breathe. I'd limit the cat's access to the AC-cooled rooms if possible. If it's a whole house type AC and not a window unit, that might be harder to keep a cat out of rooms. Maybe offer large boxes palcedon their sides for the cat to use to get out of the cold air?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuileries

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both very much! I want to make sure she is comfortable, so I'm glad to know that the heating pad can be used. I'll work with the A/C to find a temperature that is good for her and me (and keep in mind what you said above about the heat during the few days when it's cold down here). I appreciate your time and responses.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The heating pad is fine, just make sure you get one that doesn't get super hot and has a cover that can be removed so you can clean it. The best thing for asthma is to keep allergens low...keep his area clean and vacuumed, and consider a hepa air filter. You know all this since you suffer as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuileries

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing that will aggravate your kitty's asthma is the humidity and seasonal weather changes. If she also has allergies you could talk to the vet about a daily antihistamine during the changing weather times.