Feline Apology?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I few of you may remember that Wendel has issues with being touched...well we've been owkring on it and he's made HUGE amounts of progress. From a warning shot after 2 pets to him sleeping in our laps and arms some nights.

Yesterday he was hanging out and getting some love while I was on the computer. He was head-slamming my hand and rolling around on the desk, then all of a sudden he had a moment and chomped me. (no broken skin) I told him "OW!" very loudly and took my hand away and ignored him. After about 60 seconds he gently head butted the hand he'd chomped. I ignored him. Then he licked the spot he'd chomped and lightly head butted my hand again. When I looked at him he flopped over and gave me his belly and shoved his head into my hand, then gave a big sigh and purred when I scritched him...It looked for all the world like: "I'm sorry. Hey...I'm really sorry. Do you still love me?"

So...do cats apologize?

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say that was an apology from the little dear. Sometimes they just react and don't think. He knew he messed up. And Wendel sure does love you, and trust you, very much.

Robin

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crystal will do something similar on the rare occasion she gets carried away and bites me when she's playing (also no broken skin). At first she looks at me with narrowed eyes, not looking particularly apologetic at that point. But she will always gently grab my hand and lick that spot, then usually roll over and purr or purr-meow, and play much more gently.

Wendell sounds like a sweet kitty, and it sounds like he's come a long way!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww, Kate, that is so precious!
I would love to see some new pics of Wendel!
It really sounds like an apology to me as well.