feeling very conflicted re: home cooked/raw vs. commercial

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just used my hubby's b complex (he takes it regularly), and i think that was a mistake.  someone said that jarrow b-right has little to no odor.  i'm seriously considering ordering it and using it in my next batch.  not only does the smell of the b complex turn me off, but i think that might have something to do with jake's avoidance.  i gave him 50/50 raw and nature's variety instinct duck, which is stinky, and he ate it - but my hubby said he looked sad when he was resting after breakfast.  i'll be heading to the pet store today to pick up some more stinky canned food to continue transitioning him.
I was in my local Vitamin Shoppe yesterday, and I saw the Jarrow B-Right. I took a look at the label and it does say "low odor" on the front.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so jake is flat out refusing to eat the raw now.  even if i mix any raw in with the raw, he won't eat it.  the girls are eating just raw, i don't have to mix anything in and they wolf it down.

jake just doesn't want it.  we've given him canned all day today and i plan on trying a bit of the raw in his dish tomorrow.  

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

so jake is flat out refusing to eat the raw now.  even if i mix any raw in with the raw, he won't eat it.  the girls are eating just raw, i don't have to mix anything in and they wolf it down.

jake just doesn't want it.  we've given him canned all day today and i plan on trying a bit of the raw in his dish tomorrow.  
From what I've read, this is not uncommon. How much raw are you mixing with canned? Maybe take a step back and reduce the amount?

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we mixed 50/50 once and he ate most of it.  the next time i offered him 50/50 he sniffed and walked away - could not be coaxed into eating, even when i crushed some of his fave treats and sprinkled them on top.  so then i tried like 75/25 - no go.  and last night i tried like 90/10 - just a smidge of the raw on top.  he sniffed at it and walked away.  so we went back to giving him just the canned nature's variety instinct chicken.

hubby thinks we should try cooking it and do home cooked for all of them.  i think now that we're putting raw into practice, he's not sure about it.  i also take immunosuppressant drugs and i think he's concerned about leaving raw out for too long.  he thinks that with home cooked, we'll still have all that control over their diet but we'll have fewer concerns.  i'm thinking of making half raw, half cooked next batch and see who likes what.  since i'll have to make another batch this weekend lol.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I started Sebastian on a homemade diet, I started with a pea-sized amount....literally. I would do that amount for 4-7 days and then increase. Sounds extreme, but I have to introduce things very slowly with Sebastian. Perhaps try a pea-sized amount and mix it in well with the NV (not just sitting on top).

I tried raw first, and it didn't work out (more Sebastian's issues than my own). I now offer premium canned and homecooked. Which reminds me, I have to make more of Sebastian's cooked duck "meatballs" tonight. 

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
dh said last night that he fed jake like 70 raw/30 canned and jake ate it.  he didn't mix it well either.  so i put down just raw mixed with some warm water to bring the temperature up a bit and he's eating it!  now i really think the stink of the b-complex because, after being frozen and thawed, the smell is much less nasty.  we're still considering cooking it next time to see what happens.  i'm starting to get more and more uncomfortable with handling the raw chicken :x