Feeling So Guilty About What My Cat Did!

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, my moggy, my best pal, had a 3-week bout with anorexia and was hospitalised. He's recovering well, but he bit the vet and me while he was sick which he's never done before. He started growling when he was sick, which I never heard him do in all the years I've known him. This weekend, I had friends over and my friend's 2 year old son was standing near my cat, and he suddenly lunged forward and bit him! The bite got infected 2 days later and now my friend's son has to be on antibiotics.
I feel so guilty and so appalled that my cat would do something so out of character! People who know him says he's the friendliest, gentlest cat that they know. I know his personality has changed after his ordeal with his illness but still, I feel really bad. If the bite wound gets worse, I'll be out of my mind with worry and guilt ( I already am). :bawling:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its not your fault, your cat feels unwell perhaps and the way he reacted was him letting you know. It was unfortunate but could have been a lot worse. As long a your friends son is ok I'm sure he will forgive you. Have you spoken to your friend, is she alright about it. I hope the little boy has a positive encounter with another cat soon.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no way that you could have known that your cat would attack that little boy. I do hope and pray for the boy's fast recovery.

In the meantime, since your cat is now showing signs of a bit of aggression, I do suggest to keep him inside the bedroom or wherever you can contain him each time there are guests. You may also ask the vet and have him checked again for any other possible health issues.

Hang in there.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too think it would be a good idea to put him in a bedroom when guests are over. I take it this is the same cat with kidney issues, possible IBD and I am assuming is an older cat. He just doesn't have the patience that he used to have and because he is older and unwell more easily spooked then when he was young and healthy. I too hope that the boy heals quickly. Cat bites are notorious for getting infected, they are small puncture wounds that don't bleed much so they easily become infected.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was an accident, something you could not foresee. You had no intention of this happening, so your friend should understand. Small children put the best laid back cat to the test. They move much too quickly and are way too loud.
Your cat is obviously not himself and is feeling bad and feels threatened because of that. You have to find out what is causing him to feel this way, was a diagnosis given? Once he is over whatever is ailing him, he should return to normal.
The next time a bite is received make sure to wash it thoroughly with soap and water and have some peroxide handy to pour over it. I have been bitten deeply several times, and following this protocol hads prevented infection, but not teh worry of possible rabies! Your friend should be thankful it was a vaccinated house cat and not a feral!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an experience thst was a close call that could have been similar outcome. I managed to intervene and get bitten instead. Also got infected. Twice I have had bite infections. The location of the bite has a lot to do with it. If it is in the hand where large blood vessels run, it is more common. In the area between thumb and forefinger is a bad spot.
This is not your fault! Any parent knows the risk of letting a small child near any animal. I let my daughter near animals all the time but she was carefully instructed and if she had been bitten, I would have been responsible. Not the cat and not the owner. Me! I let her around them. I also would have taken her in for a doctor check before it got infected.
I was seriously injured by a neighbors cat as a young girl. It was my fault! I knew better but that cat was after my cat. I went close and called my kitty. He ran to me and the other chased. I never held blame. It was natural cat behavior. I never feared cats and , in fact, I work with ferals. Lol Go figure! I do think that the child should be exposed to another kitty or kitties to make sure he understands this was a freak accident. Not the normal thing. Even a child that age can understand that kitty was sick. Talk to his family if you can. I hope the child and your kitty are okay. You can’t read the cats mind. You could not have predicted this or prevented it. NOT something you should feel guilty about. That’s why we have the word ,”accident.” I understand the strong sympathy and empathy. Try not to kick yourself though.
Of all the 100+ ferals I have worked with, none has ever bitten me. Both times I was bitten, it was by my own kitty. One scared of a dog and one scared of a child. Just give your kitty peace and quiet until he is back to normal. Sounds like he could use some snuggling. You too! :catlove::alright::heartshape:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet cats are usually aggressive when they're hurting. I'd take your cat back to the vet for a more thorough exam. I think there's something wrong that got missed the first time.
I agree. It's not your fault, you couldn't predict that your cat would react in that way especially if it was out of his usual character.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sweet cats are usually aggressive when they're hurting. I'd take your cat back to the vet for a more thorough exam. I think there's something wrong that got missed the first time.
Hi Mother Dragon, he was diagnosed with IBD at the hospital. He's back to normal health-wise, but he often vomits when he poops. I think he's constipated! He has a check up at the hospital in the first week of July.

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, Jcatbird!
I had an experience thst was a close call that could have been similar outcome. I managed to intervene and get bitten instead. Also got infected. Twice I have had bite infections. The location of the bite has a lot to do with it. If it is in the hand where large blood vessels run, it is more common. In the area between thumb and forefinger is a bad spot.
This is not your fault! Any parent knows the risk of letting a small child near any animal. I let my daughter near animals all the time but she was carefully instructed and if she had been bitten, I would have been responsible. Not the cat and not the owner. Me! I let her around them. I also would have taken her in for a doctor check before it got infected.
I was seriously injured by a neighbors cat as a young girl. It was my fault! I knew better but that cat was after my cat. I went close and called my kitty. He ran to me and the other chased. I never held blame. It was natural cat behavior. I never feared cats and , in fact, I work with ferals. Lol Go figure! I do think that the child should be exposed to another kitty or kitties to make sure he understands this was a freak accident. Not the normal thing. Even a child that age can understand that kitty was sick. Talk to his family if you can. I hope the child and your kitty are okay. You can’t read the cats mind. You could not have predicted this or prevented it. NOT something you should feel guilty about. That’s why we have the word ,”accident.” I understand the strong sympathy and empathy. Try not to kick yourself though.
Of all the 100+ ferals I have worked with, none has ever bitten me. Both times I was bitten, it was by my own kitty. One scared of a dog and one scared of a child. Just give your kitty peace and quiet until he is back to normal. Sounds like he could use some snuggling. You too! :catlove::alright::heartshape:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello W wombat :hellocomputer:

The regulars here know my one cat, Baby Girl, is my pride and joy. She's the farthest thing from an aggressive cat you could want (spoiled, yes.) She got injured a few years ago and was in a lot of pain. Anytime I touched her, she growled at me. She didn't bite me, or bite the vet, but this sweet cat that turns into a ragdoll when you handle her turned sharply towards the vet, pinned her ears and let out a serious growl. I was upset but the vet assured me that they knew that she was in a lot of pain.
I don't know why they do these things, but when they hurt, they react, and they react the way animals do, by biting.
I sure hope he feels better soon, and the little kid is doing well.
If he vomits when he strains to poop, he could be constipated and be straining so hard that it sends his stomach into reverse. Talk to your vet about adding something like miralax to his food and see how that goes. IBD can be frustrating but it can be controlled.
IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
This site helped us a lot when our boy was having bowel problems. I hope it helps you too :wave3:

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, 1 bruce 1! And thanks for the recommendation!
Hello W wombat :hellocomputer:

The regulars here know my one cat, Baby Girl, is my pride and joy. She's the farthest thing from an aggressive cat you could want (spoiled, yes.) She got injured a few years ago and was in a lot of pain. Anytime I touched her, she growled at me. She didn't bite me, or bite the vet, but this sweet cat that turns into a ragdoll when you handle her turned sharply towards the vet, pinned her ears and let out a serious growl. I was upset but the vet assured me that they knew that she was in a lot of pain.
I don't know why they do these things, but when they hurt, they react, and they react the way animals do, by biting.
I sure hope he feels better soon, and the little kid is doing well.
If he vomits when he strains to poop, he could be constipated and be straining so hard that it sends his stomach into reverse. Talk to your vet about adding something like miralax to his food and see how that goes. IBD can be frustrating but it can be controlled.
IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
This site helped us a lot when our boy was having bowel problems. I hope it helps you too :wave3: