Feeling seriously guilty, did I move too fast?

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay guys.. Boca is the unneutered outdoor male that we've been letting into the sunroom at night and when it rains for a good few weeks now. We've been rubbing him down and rubbing Chickster down, I thought I was doing everything right, but I think I pushed too fast?

He does really great with the two outdoor spayed females. They head bump him and he's never once hit them or fought with them. He's been bopped a couple times by them, though.
For the past three mornings I've let Boca into the house. Chickster ignores him, stays away from him. Today she laid out in the floor and sucked on her toe while he sat about three feet away watching her. His body language was totally relaxed. Tail wasn't twitching, pupils not dilated. He is very calm. He snuck up and sniffed her butt while she was sucking on her toe and didn't notice him. Today she's hissed, she's growled (especially when he got close to her water glass) but otherwise they've just looked at each other. They haven't blink-kissed, but stared intently at each other.

Well, then all heck broke loose. Chickster was trying to pass by him but it was too close on either side, so she hissed at him. He just looked at her, while sitting, seemingly totally innocent. She backed up and went back into the livingroom, began to hiss, growl and then attacked her own tail. At this point she was about 5 feet away from Boca, who immediately pounced on her. I jumped up, terrified, hollered NO and they both hissed at me (looking me dead in the eyes) and Boca ran to the front door and Chickster under the kitchen table. I put Boca out (he came back to the backdoor and is out there crying like mad, i will go ease him) but Chickster, I think, maybe had a "poop incident" where some might be stuck to her butt or maybe poop pains, that is usually when she attacks her own tail.

I can't get to her right now, but she is MAJORLY upset with me. So, my question is, what do I do now, and should I just keep Boca in the sunroom for the winter and give up integrating? I don't want Chickster to get hurt. Boca needs to be neutered, soon, but ... I am just lost.
Edit: She is ok.
Thanks for any help. I'm going to take a couple xanax, I hate cat fights so much.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're letting a cat in and out and your house cat went after her tail? If not stuck poop, I bet he brought a hitchhiking flea in that might have hoped over to Chickster. (there's nothing you can do about poisoned but not dead yet fleas) Some cats, like my Siri, will go absolutely nuts if they get a flea on them.

He basically went after her because he misread her and that upset him. He either thought she was going to be after him soon or was just so bothered he reacted.

Take it slow and start over. That's all you can really do. I don't think you've messed up things beyond repair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I will try again.
More slowly this time. and yes, we do need to get him treated with some frontline or revolution. I was a little too excited to get them together

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That tends to be what most people on (or recently joining) this site have done. I think I must be one of the few overly paranoid people here.
I had the kittens separated for close to 7 weeks, though I was also taming them.

Since he's not flea treated I'm sure he hasn't been dewormed. Make sure you get him taken care of for tapes and at least one dose of a dewormer for rounds if you're going to use a couple months of Revolution. (reasoning, one cat is cheaper to treat than two) Go ahead and put a flea preventive on her, too.

I think Boca will be fine. He sounds like he'll take care of himself if he has to, but that he's not really one to seek out trouble. Chickster just needs time to adjust since she's an adult female cat - they tend not to like house mates being sprung on them.

Are you using feliway?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken Boca to the vet yet, have you tested him for FeLV, FIV, parasites, etc? I would not let him near my cats before vetting him... It also might be easier to take him in after he is neutered and ihs hormones are down...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the name Boca btw. In your shoes I would neuter Boca and make sure he was parasite free and flea treated and then bring him indoors as he is recovering and start the process of proper introductions all over again. I think you will have success.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you did just fine. Cats have to find their own way in the end. Take a deep breath!
I agree with the others and would also recommend vetting Boca first, then trying a reintroduction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do need to vet him first. And at least I have a great vet to go to now, .. I was just pushing too fast, he is such a lover and I want Chickster to have a buddy so bad after Boo. But gotta take my time. Thanks guys!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

I do need to vet him first. And at least I have a great vet to go to now, .. I was just pushing too fast, he is such a lover and I want Chickster to have a buddy so bad after Boo. But gotta take my time. Thanks guys!!
Please DO vet him first... if God forbid he has Leukemia or something bad... your kitties might be in danger...

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you know cats do things in their own sweet time. After vetting him and especially after the neutering Chickster may be more accepting. Just start again and be patient.