Feeling Scared

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband went in for a stress echo this afternoon and had v tach during the test. The doctor sent him by ambulance to a hospital cardiac cath center two hours away. Because of weather and not having available animal care I am sitting at home and can't be with him right now. He arrived at the hospital about an hour ago but I haven't heard anything since and I'm scared! I don't know when they are going to do the heart cath but since it is 6pm here I'm thinking it will be tomorrow or maybe they are doing it right now. I hate being so far away and not knowing what is happening.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in a similar position.
  1. Kieka Kieka is absolutely right. He's in the best place he could be. Just for starters, I'm certain that he's currently on a heart monitor, so if anything goes wrong they'll know and take care of it immediately.
  2. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :hugs: :grouphug2: :catrub::catlove::purr: This would be a really good time for you to get a purring kitty fix.
  3. Did the hospital give you the code for checking on him? You'll definitely need it. (Hospitals assign patients a unique code, so that they won't accidentally give out private information to someone with no right to know. Family members, especially spouses, should be given the code automatically. After that it's up to the patient or his loved ones to hand it out to close friends, if the patient wants it to be handed out.) If the hospital hasn't given it to you, call the office of the doctor who was administering the stress test; they should be able to tell you how to get it.
  4. It sounds impossible, but you lucked out. The stress test caused this to happen in the best place possible -- a doctor's office. If they hadn't caught it this way chances are that the first you would have known about it was when he had a much worse heart attack, which might have been fatal. Now that they know, there's a lot they can do about it, so take some deep breaths and let all of that acute worry and panic go. Yes, he's going to have health issues in the future because of his heart, but it's highly unlikely that he'll have another attack in the next few days, and the long-term effects should be manageable.
Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret thank you for the reply. Your words are very comforting and I know you are right. Its so hard to think straight! My husband called finally a little bit ago and he is stable and ok. He did give me his code so I can call. He's having the procedure mid morning tomorrow. If the weather is okay I'll be headed up there early in the morning but he told me not to come if it is bad. I'll see what it looks like in the morning. I guess we won't know until afterwards if he will be able to come home or if they will keep him for awhile. I just wish the hospital here had the facilities for a cath. I hate being so far away! The kitties will get lots of extra loves tonight.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I will keep your husband and you in my thoughts. Like Margret said, it's good it was found in a doctor's office. He's in the best place right now. I'm thinking of you right now; I know it's really hard, but try not to stress too much. Let your cats take care of you as much as they will; cats know when something is wrong.

Many years ago, Rick was in the hospital and it was touch-and-go for a while. Hydrox, The Old Coot, stuck to me like glue. He knew something was wrong and refused to leave my lap whenever I came home from the hospital. He kept looking at me with those big yellow eyes and purring at me. I cried into his fur more than a couple times. He was trying to make me feel better. Let your cats do that for you. They know. And they'll take care of you.

Many, many :hugs: for you. It's not easy. We are here.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has had heart problems too, Afib, for the last few years, I know how worrisome it can be. I am a registered nurse, so maybe know too much. But I do want to reassure you that finding this condition early and with a monitored stress test gives the best possible outcome. There are too many treatments for this condition to list, but I'm sure they will find one that works. Cardioversion, mild electrical shocks, are given to stop it, my husband has had those several times, and medications can stop it too. He is doing fine now on medication, and has a wonderful heart doctor, leading a normal life. Your husband will do fine too, knowing about this condition, and learning to understand what is going on, is the first step to controlling it. He is in the best hands he can be, although I know how worrisome it can be not to be right there. I, too, have animals, and ice on the road right now, but it will relieve your husband's stress to know you are safe, so don't take unnecessary risks.
I will definitely pray for both of you, and keep you both in my thoughts. Please let us know how he is doing, may the good Lord watch over him and bring him home to you!

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester and di and bob di and bob thank you so much for your thoughts and good wishes and for sharing your experiences. Last night was really long and I didn't get much sleep. I spent a lot of time reading about v tach and the heart cath procedure The heart cath sounds pretty routine but I still worry about it and will be glad when it is done.

My husband called this morning and he sounds good. He doesn't know yet what time they will be doing the procedure and he's anxious to get it done. He doesn't want me to come up there yet since he may have to stay overnight again and he's worried about me making two trips if the roads are bad so I guess I'll be waiting here until after the procedure and we know when he will be released. I'd like to be there with him but he doesn't need anything else to worry him right now. My kitties have been giving me lots of loves and Max stayed in bed with me all night. I'll keep you posted.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we're still waiting for them to do the procedure. It was supposed to be done at 10:30 this morning then they said 2:00 this afternoon. I hate all this waiting!

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whew! The heart cath was done and it revealed no arterial blockages. They don't know for sure what caused the v tach yet so there will be more tests and appointments. They did put him on some medication that is supposed to help. I am feeling much better and I will be picking him up tomorrow morning. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and support!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew! The heart cath was done and it revealed no arterial blockages. They don't know for sure what caused the v tach yet so there will be more tests and appointments. They did put him on some medication that is supposed to help. I am feeling much better and I will be picking him up tomorrow morning. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and support!
:yess: :dance::jive::woohoo::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::goldstar: