Feeling Guilty

retrored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all.

I recently moved from rural Australia (with a large garden) to a townhouse with a small courtyard in the suburbs of my state’s capital city.

Of course, my two cats, Willie and Patti, came with me.
They are complete opposites- Willie loves exploring and anything new, while Patti is the very definition of a scaredy-cat, but also super loving.

Willie has taken like a duck to water with the new house, looking in every room upstairs and downstairs (stairs are new for them). Patti has hidden under a bed upstairs the entire time, only coming out at night time.
I’m letting her take her time with coming out- not trying to force her. Not sure if anyone can help here.

I feel so awful for the two of them, as they were indoor/outdoor back home and spent so much time safely in the yard.
After a few weeks I will let them look in the courtyard with my supervision.

I’m probably projecting my feelings onto them a bit, but I feel so guilty that the yard isn’t as enriching. There’s not even any grass, just a small garden bed.

I’m looking for reassurance I guess- I just want them to be happy.

Any advice or stories of a similar transition would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Patti will be fine, especially since you are kind and compassionate to her perspective and are allowing her the time and space that she needs.

Try some cat music for her, it might also help; there's RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats, and spotify and other sources have harp music etc specifically for cats.
Below are some site articles that may also be of help. Hang in there, you're doing just fine.

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

Cat Grass: How To Create The Purrfect Garden For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles

How To Keep Your Cat Safe Outdoors – TheCatSite Articles