Feel sad for friends cat

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not in a judgmental way, because I know they love their cat and that's the main thing. . .but I have educated myself a lot on cat behavior and biological needs. . .and well, their cat is lacking in an environment that suits him. I'm cat-sitting for them for 4 days and I keep noticing things like A) only a 1 year old cat and he's very obese B) no cat scratchers, no high places to go, barely any toys. She always says "oh he's such a sleepy, cuddly cat". Mmmmmm, great. . .but I wonder if anyone plays with the guy and lets him be a cat (hunt, catch, kill and all that).

Anyway, don't think there is anything I can do (although while cat-sitting I have been playing with him and he definitely has a frisky side!). But I just wanted to share with some folks who would get it. I just feel sad for the guy to be indoors and bored and overweight all the time.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, that is so sad for a cat to live in such a bland environment- nothing to claim as his own, no emotional enrichment. I have seen that happen too many times & it's difficult to get owners to realize their selfish ways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes, that is so sad for a cat to live in such a bland environment- nothing to claim as his own, no emotional enrichment. I have seen that happen too many times & it's difficult to get owners to realize their selfish ways.
Yes, although it’s certainly not a lack of caring like I said. I think often people just believe cats to be low maintenance pets-like all you have to do is put out food and pet them- which people would never think about a dog!

I wonder if I should gift my friend one of Jackson galaxy ‘s books? Or a scratching post!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is tough. What do they feed him? Can you let her borrow some toys? Make suggestions politely as you know. Show them this pic of my apartment, majorly catified. 72inch tower,cubes 3 way tunnel,cat lounger,chew toys
Love your catification!! <3 We have that same tunnel and I actually took it over for my friends cat (Ollie) to use while they are gone.
It's tricky, bc I don't want to sound like "you aren't a good cat parent". . but clearly he is overweight and bored! I mean he's only a year old, but he moves like he's 10. :( They don't have a ton of money, so I"m sure that's part of it. . .they can't afford fancy cat food. But I just feel so bad for the guy!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Love your catification!! <3 We have that same tunnel and I actually took it over for my friends cat (Ollie) to use while they are gone.
It's tricky, bc I don't want to sound like "you aren't a good cat parent". . but clearly he is overweight and bored! I mean he's only a year old, but he moves like he's 10. :( They don't have a ton of money, so I"m sure that's part of it. . .they can't afford fancy cat food. But I just feel so bad for the guy!
I had to throw away the 3 way tunnel. The thread tore and wire popped out but I got a much nicer one