Feel guilty I'm boring my cats -Overthinking?

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think this feeling all started when I lost my 17 year old girl last year and it's been ramping up a lot this year. So I had 3 cats last year and now I have two boys. One is almost 17 and one is almost 6. The girl used to float between everyone so it brought everyone together. It's been over a year since she has been gone and we've all accepted her passing.

Now, I'm fortunate that I've been employed through this whole covid thing and with an office job, I've never really worked from home but maybe a month when it first hit. So this isn't a case that I was home for a year and just went back. I'm gone 9-10 hours a day like any normal office job continuoulsy.

I live in a 2 story house. The older boy always stays upstairs. The younger boy always stays downstairs. They may wonder around up/down once or twice a day for 5 minutes but that is it. (I have cameras and watch them from work). It's frustrating that they never found to be close friends in each other. They would play occasionally but it's rare these days. No violence between them and no territory problems, etc.

The reason I write this is I feel guilty that I am a bad cat dad. They both ask for my attention at home at night but I have to split it between them since they won't hang out together in the same area. On top of work, I try to have a life too but sometimes don't go out much because I feel guilty leaving them.

Am I over-reacting? I try to tell myself, "hey, at least they are not in a cage somewhere and are very loved here". They have all the food, clean litter boxes, toys scattered around, a 2 story house to roam all to themselves with plenty of windows and soft things to sleep on. Vet care whenever they need it... etc.

I've even thought about maybe having a cat sitter come by once a day to hang with them but feel it would be a waste of money since the younger one is scared of others (will hide) and my older boy sleeps mostly. So that seems silly to do.

Getting another cat is not an option. My older boy has IDB and takes a lot of care and focus and his situation has been bad this week.

I feel guilty in all this that I'm boring them and not giving them a good life... any advice to ease these thoughts?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're not a bad cat dad, so get that right out of your head. You're observing your cats and looking for ways to improve their lives. Instead of worrying and feeling guilty, channel that energy into making improvements. Look for ways to increase vertical space. Add cat condos and/or shelves on the walls for them to climb and get around on. Does your cat have a window hammock? There are hammocks that attach to glass that give cats a great place for looking out windows. If you don't have bird feeders, look into adding a couple by a window or three to attract birds for your cats to watch. Shop for cat toys.

The neat thing about this is you can make a change, then watch to see what happens. The changes can be small ones, like a shelf or hammock.

I'm sure you do this already, but I always greet my cat and spend time with her when I come home from work. It's part of our routine and she enjoys it.

Look for fun ways to make improvements for your cats and watch your stress evaporate.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two cats that share a roof but that's all. I would love to see them play together but it's not going to happen. If your cats were lonely or wanted company they would gravitate to each other and as they don't, it means they are happy as things are, their choice. Dont feel guilty, as long as you give each of them your time when they ask for it, that's great. You are being a good, thoughtful cat owner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good replies. Appreciate the ideas and thoughts.

Especially the idea that if they wanted to hang out they would. You always hope for things to be one way but things play out the other way, and sometimes there isn't much you can do.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had this kind of relationship often with cats, especially since I have always owned multiple cats, all of whom live/lived indoors. As you explain, they live in the lap of luxury. Five notches down from this would still be the lap of luxury. Some have formed friendships, even close friendships and some have never bothered with anyone. Years ago I only had 2 cats inside and they made sure that they were never in the same place. If they were, they looked at each other as if to say "you still here?" I never try to supervise cat friendships. They all make their own decisions and I guarantee you that your cats are happy.