Feeding Tube (e-tube) Cap Keeps Popping Off

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista had a feeding tube inserted last week. The whole saga is documented in the Krista's Care thread if you want the details.

She's come home with Horner's Syndrome from an ear infection. She still shakes her head occasionally like the ear is still bothering her (and it probably is, there was only so much the Drs wanted to do in that ear. "A whole lot of angry going on. Let's give it antibiotics and time and revisit this when it looks less angry.")

The problem is, a vigorous head shake is all that's needed for the feeding tube cap to fly off. I can't really leave this cat alone until I solve this because who knows when she'll fling it off and have an open tube for how long. We have a follow-up vet visit on Sat. I spoke with the Dr on the phone earlier today and she said she would look into alternate cap options. I'd like to minimize Krista's vet returns but if the Dr actually has a solution, I'll take her back.

Until then...

Has anyone else encountered this issue and can provide me some suggestions or solutions? She has a Kitty Kollar but the tube is too short to lay flat against it. Still. I'm definitely more concerned about her tube than she is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is apparently the best picture I have of the tube with the Kitty Kollar. There’s a black strip of Velcro just her right of her left ear on the Kollar. But you can see this tube is too short for that. I’m not even sure Id try to move that Velcro. I just think that end is too short.

And no, I did not let her have any. For a cat with Horner’s, she can still get on to the desk and the counters. Which is another reason I want the tube cap to stay put. Day by day, she’s more mobile, coordinated, and active.
35A97080-5F78-4E34-9C46-B9BA23A0640E.jpeg

Edit. Took a better one.

Attachments

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it just the cap that is flying off? Have you tried some low/no residue tape like painters tape? You could wrap it around the feeding tube and the cap.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The end is short and contacts most of the Kollar. I tried masking tape and that did nothing. Still flew. I think the Kollar would rub the tape free. I have extra caps so maybe practice on the cap before on the cat.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried resizing/deforming the caps by squeezing them with pliers/tools? This way you would need to force them on which means they shouldn’t fly off either.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still very nervous about messing with the tube. I feel like part of the reason the cap is flying off might be my unwillingness to really push that cap on. I mean, really, the other end of that tube is going into her esophagus. I don't want to press too hard. I took some masking tape to a spare cap and fashioned an easy tape wrap. Then I took a break in her eating to change out the cap with my tape cap.

It's held for one head shake so far.

Attachments

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm still very nervous about messing with the tube. I feel like part of the reason the cap is flying off might be my unwillingness to really push that cap on. I mean, really, the other end of that tube is going into her esophagus. I don't want to press too hard. I took some masking tape to a spare cap and fashioned an easy tape wrap. Then I took a break in her eating to change out the cap with my tape cap.

It's held for one head shake so far.
That’s understandable.

Looks good at least from this angle. Can you take one from the side? Awesome that it held out for 1 shake so far.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is absolutely giving you a Horner’s side eye. It may be time to give her a little bupe in the ear and let her have some restful sleep now that I don’t have to worry about the cap.
image.jpg

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
It does look like it’s going to stay for now, but at the bottom you can see parts where it is lifted/wasn’t stuck on in the first place.

Doing this tape method every once in a while should help you two last until the vet trip though!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few shakes. A few more than I prefer she have to bear. I just want her ear better already.

This will probably solve it. No idea how much harder I made taking the cap off because she's very much in a "leave me alone already" mood. We'll figure this out and adjust. As long as she needs antibiotics for the ear, we're keeping the tube.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does look like it’s going to stay for now, but at the bottom you can see parts where it is lifted/wasn’t stuck on in the first place.

Doing this tape method every once in a while should help you two last until the vet trip though!
It only needs to last until the next time I open her up. Probably morning meds. We'll get at least a few times a day to practice with this: two meds and a stoma pad changing.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Transdermal bupe is the best! She finally looks comfortable tonight.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might consider this advice tidbit from the Kitty Collar folks:
Have an extra cap. Sooner or later, you won’t screw the cap on tight enough, or the cat will manage to shake it loose during the day, never to be found again. You should always have a spare on hand. Some veterinarians will order one for you, but you may have to purchase the entire tube apparatus. Believe me, if you lose the cap at midnight on a holiday, it will be worth whatever you paid. If the worst happens, it gets lost and you don’t have another, I once made a ball of dry paper towel and closed the end with that until the next morning. Not recommended; but the point is, don’t ever leave the tube end exposed to air and pathogens.
Tips for Living with an E-Tube | Kitty Kollar
I think you'll be able to snoop around their site from that link.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well. It lasted well into the night. I believe it was still on her during her 2am buffet. I’m leaving plates of food out for her. She gets to them. But by 8am, she was open again. I don’t know where that cap is but I found another she popped off. Good thing I have extras. I gave her morning meds and sealed her up again. I work from home so let’s see how long this iteration of the tape cap lasts.