feeding separate foods, & doing away with grazing

zemiq1982

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this question has been asked. I tried using the search function to find something but it kept coming up with no results. I'm at my wits end here with my kitties. I apologize for the long post but want to explain well.

I've got 3 cats, and 2 of them require separate prescription diet food. My 10 year old, Angus, needs s/d food for urine crystals. He's already been blocked once. I originally fed him s/d, and then actually went to w/d (I will explain why in a minute). He's got crystals again and the vet said he absolutely must eat s/d now, likely for the rest of his life.

My other cat, Russel, requires w/d food because he has pancreatitis. When Angus originally got s/d, I fed all 3 s/d. Russel has always had health issues, and the the higher fat content triggered the pancreatitis. Or that's what my vet figures anyway. So he got w/d, and my vet said it was okay for all 3 to eat w/d and that it would help Angus some but not nearly as much as the s/d would. Russel absolutely must not eat the s/d food. My third cat, Mattie, generally eats the w/d too just because she has a really sensitive stomach.

So to sum up, Angus must be eating the s/d, and Russel must not be eating the s/d. They've always had free feeding. Now they only want each others' food and don't understand why I don't leave food out for them to eat whenever they want. They're waking me up in the night, every 2 hours. Mattie is the only one eating normally. She doesn't care what she eats.

Neither Russel nor Angus are eating nearly the amount they usually do. I have to referee meal time. If I have to separate them completely, like putting Angus in the bedroom with his bowl, then I have to sit in the bedroom with him or he won't eat. He'll sit at the door and wait for me to open it. And if I leave food out for Russel while I'm sitting in the room with Angus, Russel will sit at the door wanting in instead of eating the food I left out for him. The same thing happens if I shut Russel in the bedroom. They know the other one is getting some different kind of food and they want it.

They're meowing at me constantly for food. They've been trying to chew open the bags when I'm gone, so I know they're hungry, but when I put the food out in front of them, this is what they do.

What in the world am I supposed to do?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's soooo difficult to change from free feeding to scheduled feeding! Been there, done that! I just tell my kitties, "It's not time yet." and then try to distract them with a toy or something. I actually think that a lot of the time they eat out of boredom or because they want attention, so playing with them, or entertaining them with a toy and loving on them helps. They will eventually get used to the new schedule, but it's a long road and requires much patience on your part and knowing that you're doing the best thing for your kitties to keep you doing it.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We free feed our cats.. but my dog is on a scheduled meal

(I would like to try to put the cats on scheduled meals too, but that means re-training the BF, he ussually feeds the cats)

I know when I put my dog on a scheduled meal, I put the food down, left it for about 15 minutes- if he didnt eat, I picked it up. He did not get offered food again until his next meal time. He caught on and will eat when I feed him now.

I imagine with the cats, its the same thing... offer the food at meal time, and only then. I wouldnt stay in the same room with the cat.. if the cat is hungry he will eat. Dont give in to begging and crying.. try to distract them.. if they are really hungry, they will eat at meal time.

It will take time for them to get used to it, but they will eventually learn when meal time is, and will learn to eat when they are fed.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zemiq1982

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this question has been asked. I tried using the search function to find something but it kept coming up with no results. I'm at my wits end here with my kitties. I apologize for the long post but want to explain well.

I've got 3 cats, and 2 of them require separate prescription diet food. My 10 year old, Angus, needs s/d food for urine crystals. He's already been blocked once. I originally fed him s/d, and then actually went to w/d (I will explain why in a minute). He's got crystals again and the vet said he absolutely must eat s/d now, likely for the rest of his life.

My other cat, Russel, requires w/d food because he has pancreatitis. When Angus originally got s/d, I fed all 3 s/d. Russel has always had health issues, and the the higher fat content triggered the pancreatitis. Or that's what my vet figures anyway. So he got w/d, and my vet said it was okay for all 3 to eat w/d and that it would help Angus some but not nearly as much as the s/d would. Russel absolutely must not eat the s/d food. My third cat, Mattie, generally eats the w/d too just because she has a really sensitive stomach.

So to sum up, Angus must be eating the s/d, and Russel must not be eating the s/d. They've always had free feeding. Now they only want each others' food and don't understand why I don't leave food out for them to eat whenever they want. They're waking me up in the night, every 2 hours. Mattie is the only one eating normally. She doesn't care what she eats.

Neither Russel nor Angus are eating nearly the amount they usually do. I have to referee meal time. If I have to separate them completely, like putting Angus in the bedroom with his bowl, then I have to sit in the bedroom with him or he won't eat. He'll sit at the door and wait for me to open it. And if I leave food out for Russel while I'm sitting in the room with Angus, Russel will sit at the door wanting in instead of eating the food I left out for him. The same thing happens if I shut Russel in the bedroom. They know the other one is getting some different kind of food and they want it.

They're meowing at me constantly for food. They've been trying to chew open the bags when I'm gone, so I know they're hungry, but when I put the food out in front of them, this is what they do.

What in the world am I supposed to do?
I wrote a post, but somehow it disappeared, so I'll try again.

Check out feline Royal Canin urinary SO. It works for both kinds of crystals.
http://products.royalcanin.us/produc...rinary-so.aspx

The canned food provides more moisture for their bodies - it helps keep the bladder flushed out.

I am feeding 3 cats on this diet. Two of them have crystal issues (I was feeding mostly dry food.) The vet said that the "healthy" cat won't be harmed with this prescription.

I feed canned during the day, and give them a treat of the dry form of the RC urinary SO as a treat at night - (they get about 1/8 cup just before I jump into bed) - this seems to keep them quiet during the night with no hunger pains.

Since they only graze at the canned food, I leave it out until the next feeding.

They have no health problems with me leaving the canned food in their dish for 8 hours. I'm speaking from experience. Some will say to remove the canned food from them after about ?20 minutes? or so. I've found this to be a waste of food - especially when you're feeding them expensive prescription food.

For me, I feed them 4 times a day - each time they get 1/4 of the 6 oz can, sometimes they get a little more, depends on their appetite.

The PM feeding is usually around 10 pm, and any food remaining from that feeding is left out until the following morning - most of the time when I get up, the food is gone - and no one is sick. (This is the canned food that is left out the 8 hours.)

It's late, I hope I've made some sense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zemiq1982

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The transition from grazing to scheduled is a challenge all in itself. But having to keep them separate too is making it so much more difficult. They don't want their own food and still can't understand that now there's a time to eat and time not to eat. It's getting especially hard at night because they're waking me at all hours for food. I have been standing firm but it is extremely hard not to give in, sometimes because I feel bad, and sometimes just because I want a little peace and quiet.

Angus will not eat canned food for some reason. When he blocked and was at the vet's for a week, they kept telling me he wasn't eating and we all were kind of expecting the worst. Then I found out they were leaving canned food out. I suggested dry, and after 3 days of only eating a couple bites a day, he gobbled down the bowl of dry food. Russel really needs a low fat food to try to prevent his pancreatitis from flaring up. He's done well now for months, but when it flares up it's just terrible. As long as I keep him on w/d, he does well 95% of the time. The fat content in the Royal Canin looks significantly higher than the w/d. So I'd still be in the same dilemma trying to keep them separate. When they all ate s/d, Angus loved it. He just doesn't want it now because Russel is eating something different.

And I have left canned food out before for Russel. I've never had a problem with that either.
But he actually won't graze off it much. He'll eat what he's going to eat, and maybe go back one more time. Then the rest is left there if Mattie doesn't go finish it off.

I guess I probably shouldn't sit in the room with them. I just want them to eat some so maybe I can get some stuff done for a few minutes. So you were able to successfully transition them to a schedule then? How long did it take you? Did they keep waking you up in the night too?

thoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're going through this right now, though we're hoping to be able to go back to free feeding eventually. We've got two little cats that have been so sick so long that their guts need time to heal before we can put them on solely kibble. They're on a raw blend right now as we transition them.

What we do, is we prepare a 'nighttime' feeding for the babies and put it in the fridge right before bed. My partner has the wonderful ability to wake up for five minutes in the middle of the night and then go right back to sleep, so what we do is, when the cats start crying for food at three am, he gets up, puts the kibble out for the big cats, brings the babies' food into our room and then shuts the babies into our room and leaves the big cats out to graze while we finish sleeping. It means keeping a litter pan in our bedroom, but this way the big cats, who won't eat more than a few bites at a time, get an opportunity over several hours to eat.

Maybe it would help to feed Angus at night, while you're in bed anyway? We typically feed everyone on a night schedule. We feed right as we're going to bed, then open the door after the babies are finished and put up the big cats' food. Next feeding is in the middle of the night when my partner gets up to put big cat food down and bring baby food into our room and close the door. Then we feed them again shortly after we wake up in the morning. We typically close the babies into the bedroom at least once around midday and put the big cats' food down, but three meals a day would be perfectly sufficient if Leo didn't get so confused and obnoxious around midday.

So maybe a night feeding, when you'd be in the room anyway?