Feeding Schedule For A New Kitten?

livvyliv42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
im getting a 9-10 week old kitten on Saturday, but I'm just curious about how to schedule her feeding. With my first cat, I have canned food at specific meal times and free fed dry food. But because I will now have him and the new kitten, I can't leave dry food out without risking my older cat eating the kitten's food. With my older cat, I feed 2.75-3 ounces of canned food at 6am and 6 pm, and a 1/4 cup of Orijen dry food at 12pm (I'm close enough to come home from work in my lunch break). I wasn't sure if this would be a good schedule for the kitten as well, or if I should add another meal at night.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This young a kitten will need many more meals than 2. I would say 5 or 6 in the beginning since she's so young. 12 weeks would actually be better to adopt her, but would say she would still need several meals per day for a few a few more weeks at least,then down to 3 or 4 meals, minimum. She may only be able to eat less than a tablespoon at each meal at this age...not sure, it's been too long since I've had wee babies :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livvyliv42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try and split it up into more meals for her, I'll try to go more towards 6 meals a day to be on the safe side lol
The hardest part is just scheduling around work. I leave the house anywhere from 6:30-7:30am on weekdays, come home for lunch at 12pm, and then get home for the day at ~5pm, so most of the meals would have to fit between 5pm-10pm...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, you'll have them separated in the beginning anyway, won't you? (you should, until you are certain your resident male won't harm the newbie) You can leave out food for the kitten in HIS saferoom while your at work.