Feeding raw, using Natural Factors Acidophilus-Bifidus

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding my kitties mainly raw now, and I noticed that so many of you experienced raw feeders recommend the Natural Factors Double Acidophilus-Bifidus probiotics.  I ordered some from amazon, and I just received it.  I noticed the first ingredient is lactose-- I usually try to avoid that, but I assume since it comes so highly recommended that the lactose isn't a problem?  I guess the good bacteria take care of any problems lactose would normally cause, after all acidophilus is supposed to help with lactose intolerance....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The thinking on probiotics is really a personal one. MY thinking on it is that in feeding raw, I'm trying to get as close as possible to a cat's natural diet. They'd normally get "probiotics" by eating the intestines and colon of prey animals. Given the importance of good gut bacteria to overall health, and the importance of the GI system in the role of the immune system, I choose to give probiotics daily. I use the Natural Factors supplement - some use the one with goat milk. Either way, none of us have seen any problems with using it (and the traditional acidophilus+bifidus one really helped my Chumley when he had explosive diarrhea - unrelated (and prior to) raw).

I've only been raw feeding since January, so I don't know how experienced I am. :lol3: But I do have 8 cats with a range of health and tolerance issues, so I guess a lot of experience has been crammed into this almost-10 months. :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The one I got does have the goat milk, but also lactose.  I don't think lactose really bothers one of the kitties anyway, I caught him drinking milk out of my cereal bowl once and it didn't seem to bother him. I've already been giving them a probiotic, it's PSC Pets Intelliflora.  It never seemed to do anything for their loose stools, the only thing that has helped that is raw!  Now that I'm out of the Intelliflora, I thought I'd give a different one a try,  and saw the NF mentioned so much.  I also had just ordered a big jar of Probios before I decided to try the NF.  Since I have both now, I 'll probably alternate between the Probios and the NF.  I'll probably be taking the NF for myself too!!

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same one you do, the goat milk one, with Lactose. Don't be afraid of it - if there is one cat it would have adverse effects on it, would be Bugsy..... Yet, it has been great for him and I do notice a difference on the days he doesn't take it. Bugsy has bad IBD. Days when he doesn't take his probiotics in the morning are the days I risk soft poop. Not an issue whatsoever :nod:

Last edited: