Feeding Question

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I am used to feeding my two cats from an auto feeder which would ensure the food was eaten on a first in, first out basis. However, now that I am having to feed my cats separately, I have been using food bowls and topping them off in the morning. I don't think this is the best idea, because the food on the bottom will get stale. And my little cat has a habit of biting off pieces of his kibble which then collect in the bottom of the bowl. How would I go about fixing this?

Ashi

:3c
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure what kind of auto feeder you're using, but the PetSafe Auto Feeder is great for individual cats and can deliver five meals (portion size of your choice) throughout the day.
You might have to get your cat used to eating the offered meal as it arrives to avoid it going stale, though if it's dry food I doubt it would be much of an issue...

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Scheduled meals would be one way to fix it and is highly recommended here over free feeding.
If they are not finishing all of their food by the next morning, you can also just decrease the amount you are offering by a bit so there are no leftovers.
Last option would be a bit wasteful but dump what's left in the bottom of the bowl each morning and refill it instead of just adding to it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats prefer to eat off a plate rather than out of a bowl, you could try that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. These foods (both prescription) are too expensive to waste, so I think I will try either scheduled feeding or not giving quite so much.