Feeding Primal FD and Weruva canned?

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little background on Goblin:

I got him as a kitten, and he's just turned six. Over the years, we've done some food transitions: started with cheap dry food which is what he ate when I got him, to higher quality dry, to Friskies canned, and now to Weruva canned.

He's a herpes cat, but rarely has outbreaks (usually once a year or less.) Otherwise, he's in good health besides some allergies (ear infection, itchy skin, occasional vomiting) that I believe was brought on by the Friskies as I haven't seen these symptoms after one shot of depo medrol and the switch to Weruva.

Problem is, he's not crazy about the Weruva. He'll eat it, but begrudgingly, and since it has a lower caloric content, I'm afraid he isn't getting enough nutrition. I was recently given a sample of Primal FD nuggets and he seems to really like them... as long as they're dry. He won't touch re-hydrated FD food. (Nor will he touch Rad Cat, NV frozen raw, or Stella and Chewies, even if I add Pure Bites on top which he loves. He just licks it off.)

He doesn't drink water, except for when I lift him to the counter and let him drink from the faucet and only then, he just takes two or three laps and he's over it. So I know I can't feed him dry FD food exclusively. Would it be all right if I mix dry crumbles of the Primal into his Weruva? I usually add water to the canned food, which he thinks is great, he loves licking up the gravy. Would adding a nugget of Primal into the Weruva balance the calorie content he's used to getting from the Friskies?

Thanks!

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He seems to be a very picky eater!  Maybe the problem is that he'd rather graze than eat meals?  One of my cats is like that....he seems to not care about food and is even indifferent to treats, but he eats plenty on his own time.  Try playing with him so he can catch some "prey," then feed him and leave the food out so he can finish it at his own pace.

Definitely agree you shouldn't feed the freeze-dried food without hydrating it.  Try putting it out partially hydrated and leaving it for a while.  He may enjoy eating the dry bits and slurping up the water separately, but as long as he gets both he's fine.

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do this. If there's can of food she walks away from without even tasting, I put some of the FD in there an she always comes back. I think you're fine with doing that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: he doesn't want anything except the Primal now. If I try to mix the dry crumbles in with the canned food, he picks the FD out and will eat only that.

Hahaha. Oh, life with cats.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: he doesn't want anything except the Primal now. If I try to mix the dry crumbles in with the canned food, he picks the FD out and will eat only that.

Hahaha. Oh, life with cats.
Sheesh, cats! Try adding a tiny bit of water to it, then a tiny bit more, and then a tiny bit more...

Serve a bit of the canned food on a separate saucer and cross your fingers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to the pet store and got him some Primal raw goat milk. He's never had it before so I'm trying to introduce it slowly, but he seems to really like it. If I mix the goat milk with some water to hydrate the FD, he'll actually eat it! Yay! Hopefully this isn't a fluke. Lol.