Feeding My Kitty

AnnaLeyah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a new baby and I'm trying to feed her only twice a day but the problem is that she doesn't eat enough after 20 minutes. She begins bugging me an hour or two after I take the bowl away from her. She's on a canned food/wet food diet only which is why I don't like leaving it out to go bad.

She has a history of being obesity. and I can't risk free-feeding her because of it. Should I increase her meals and decrease the portion at each meal?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned food can be left out for at least 2 hours. I would just portion out her food and let her eat it whenever she wants. Don't give her any extra, just her standard portion. If you want to transition her to mealtimes, do it gradually, not all at once. It can take a while to get a free-fed cat on a schedule without a lot of whining.

Or, yeah, more frequent meals with smaller portions. That will take more of your time, though.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just leave the canned food out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnnaLeyah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Canned food can be left out for at least 2 hours. I would just portion out her food and let her eat it whenever she wants. Don't give her any extra, just her standard portion. If you want to transition her to mealtimes, do it gradually, not all at once. It can take a while to get a free-fed cat on a schedule without a lot of whining.

Or, yeah, more frequent meals with smaller portions. That will take more of your time, though.
Okay! I was told not to leave it out for more than 20 minutes by the adoption agency. I was confused how I was suppose to do this when she doesn't seem accustom to it.

Thanks so much! I'll keep her at twice a day but keep it out longer for her.