Feeding Mat Reccomendations

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Sasha likes to "bury" her food even though she's not done. Sometimes she's just done for now and sometimes she tries to "bury" it and goes right back to eating it! I have a silicon mat to protect the floor but it's kind of small and when she tries to "bury" the food, she tries to use the mat to cover it which results in food bowls tipping, water spilling, lots of mess. I am trying to find a mat that will suction to the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We use a large serving tray, hard plastic with a lip so the cats can't move it. You could put the silicone mat over the hard tray so she can have her hiding spot and you protect your floor.

You can kinda see my feeding set up in the back of this photo:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use a large serving tray, hard plastic with a lip so the cats can't move it. You could put the silicone mat over the hard tray so she can have her hiding spot and you protect your floor.

You can kinda see my feeding set up in the back of this photo:
Oh wow, I have just the thing! I don't know why I didn't think of this. Thanks, I'm going to give it a try!

Any other suggestions/recommendations are still welcome! :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You could try a bathtub mat. Some of them have suction cups on the back.

Or, as Kieka said, a large serving tray which is what I use.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - have you tried any other foods? I serve the Big Guy a variety of brands of both wet and dry, and only once or twice have I seen him do the bury-it attempt, which in his case was with a variety he didn't like.
Also, cats tend to prefer to have their water in a location away from their food, so that might help as well.
Let us know how things go!

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try a bathtub mat. Some of them have suction cups on the back.

Or, as Kieka said, a large serving tray which is what I use.
Going to try the big tray and if it doesn't work- the bath mat is a great idea! Thanks!

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - have you tried any other foods? I serve the Big Guy a variety of brands of both wet and dry, and only once or twice have I seen him do the bury-it attempt, which in his case was with a variety he didn't like.
Also, cats tend to prefer to have their water in a location away from their food, so that might help as well.
Let us know how things go!
I've only had her about 3 months and she's always done this but over time the burying kind of got more aggressive and with that the mat flipping came. She doesn't do this ALL the time, though. As for food, she's been rather picky. She was on a steady diet of fancy feast kitten - the turkey kind - and I leave out a bowl of dry food for during the day when I'm at work and night. I limit the dry food as much as I can. One day she just wouldn't eat the wet kitten food. No matter what I tried... nothing. Since then I have been trying other "flavors" and some days she eats heartily and still does the burying thing to an empty plate! She's a mystery. But I think it's just more of an instinctual I need to hide my scent type thing. I'm happy to let her do it but I just want less mess! lol

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to give you all an update. I had a rather large hard plastic tray and started to use that. She still does the "bury" thing but since it's one large piece, it doesn't/can't move. Problem solved! Thanks all!