Feeding Cats Fish

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
im gonna start fishing again i filet my fish and theres always a good amount of meat left on the fish after filleting. was curious of some good recipes i could do for the cats. i know i could make a good fish stock for them and add flour and make some good fish gravy.

but curious of something else i could do to make it a wholesome meal for them i hate to throw away food

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
The stock, with no onion, garlic or other seasonings, would be terrific!

I don't know about recipes other than that, but are you more comfortable feeding them cooked fish? Here again you want to avoid all seasonings...what about drying the meat for treats?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw fish are problematic for cats for long-term diet because it has some sort of anti-nutrient (enzyme or protein that inhibits vitamin or mineral absorption.). I don’t remember which one specifically, but I’m thinking it’s something to do with thiamine. I think it’s a thiamine destroying enzyme. I think once in awhile should be okay but cooked in a stock would be better than raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
The stock, with no onion, garlic or other seasonings, would be terrific!

I don't know about recipes other than that, but are you more comfortable feeding them cooked fish? Here again you want to avoid all seasonings...what about drying the meat for treats?

t dry would b hard given i dont have a dehydrator and its winter so boiling it would b easiest and fastest way sinc ei hateeeee fishy smell thinking if i make a quick stock with flour make a good gravy for them with nice little bits maybe could add a few grains so its more filling lil bit of rice or oatmeal

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
t dry would b hard given i dont have a dehydrator and its winter so boiling it would b easiest and fastest way sinc ei hateeeee fishy smell thinking if i make a quick stock with flour make a good gravy for them with nice little bits maybe could add a few grains so its more filling lil bit of rice or oatmeal
Cats have no nutritional requirements for grains. Fat would be more filling for cats than grains. Grains are potential irritants to the digestive tract.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
As daftcat75 daftcat75 mentioned, less flour although a little plain white rice might be ok. You could even mash the rice...
There are vets who will prescribe white rice and chicken for cats to help with upset tummies, so based on that I think the rice is ok, on a now and then basis. --But, not sure about the wheat based flour though.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a cat with an upset tummy, rice would raise the pH of the stomach making it less acidic, e.g. less angry. But it also compromises digestion further downstream because the bile and digestive enzymes from the gallbladder and pancreas respectively require a highly acidic environment to operate effectively. This is the reason why dry food often causes big smelly stools. The high carb content ensures nutrient malabsorption. Omit the flour, oatmeal, grains, rice, etc. Your cooking for a cat, not yourself.