Feeding Catnip?

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm fully aware that this might be a silly question for most of you, but well... :D

Marx has several catnip toys which he loves and that is basically what I thought that stuff is for - to attract cats, not for consumption.

But with the last food order I got for him I received a jar of dried catnip with it. As soon as I opened it, Marx was all over me meowing like a mad cat so I took some out and gave it to him in the lid and he ate it immediately and proceeded to chew the lid. So I'm thinking: is this maybe a good way to get him to eat his wet food on the days when he ignores it? Is this a hack everybody has been using and I'm finding out now? :D Is it safe to eat? Or should I hide the stuff from my little junkie and keep using it just for filling his toys?

I would read the label on the jar for instructions, but it's in Chinese so as always I relay on you guys :D

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give it a try! Can't hurt. I have heard that some cats will react differently to sniffing the 'nip then they do eating it. Also fun fact, celery leaves can have a similar affect (effect? I will never learn the difference) on them also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sprinkled some on the food that was untouched for at least an hour and he devoured it. He seems fine so far, though I do feel a bit like a bad mom for giving my teenager drugs :lol:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy a pot of live catnip at the pet store every couple of months or so and bring it back to my two. I refer to it as "getting a salad" for them. They devour the whole pot in about 20 minutes. Effects are minimal, just rolling around the floor on the remains. They really like the stuff.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure about the long term effects so it’s probably not something I would give on a regular basis, but my cats sniff catnip almost every day in their toys and I have fed it as a source of soluble fiber to cats that needed some help moving things along.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby has eaten catnip all her life. She actually has a scratching box that she no longer uses for scratching but goes over to it whenever she wants some catnip. I put some on the box and she sniffs and eats it. She does this maybe once a week. I don't believe I have ever heard anything about it being harmful for cats to eat it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After Demi eats half of his pate, I scrape it back up. Then I take a pinch of catnip, rub it through my fingers and sprinkle on top of his pate so he'll finish it. You only need a little pinch. A canister of catnip lasts forever, at least a year I think.

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use catnip with my sweetie -- she eats it up and 90% of the time eats up anything I put it on. She suffers from constipation and this also helps with gas from food (sorry) "rotting" in her gut. Helps her poop smell better when it does come out, and relaxes the gut. It's a miracle for us!

I use abt 1 teaspoon a day on her food. Have been giving this to her for the past few months. When I don't include it, her constipation (and incredibly foul poop smell) returns.

I was just on my way to the store this afternoon when I thought, "hey....I wonder what's IN catnip for nutrition!"....haven't found any info.

I'll still continue to use it, but after doing a cursory google search, I can't find a blessed thing on anything past its sedative/relaxing the gut effects (for humans and kitties alike).

I'm looking for:
- iron content
- magnesium/calcium/etc. content
- anything else I should be aware of that is in this

Anyone happen to have some "nutrition facts" kind of info on this?

Thanks in advance for all assistance!

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sprinkled some on the food that was untouched for at least an hour and he devoured it. He seems fine so far, though I do feel a bit like a bad mom for giving my teenager drugs :lol:
The good news: you gave your furry teen a good drug....heheh -- it just seems like cheating/drugging! Catnip is really good for their digestive tract, according to research and so forth. Try not to feel guilty...you did good, cat parent!