Feeding 4 Month Old Kitten Store-bought Chicken?

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I had a question about feeding my kitten chicken. This is a first in terms of getting away from kitten-branded dry and wet food. Usually we feed her this, but we've been leaning towards feeding her chicken and other bits of meat as well. Right now what I've done is steamed some chicken and given it to her lukewarm. At first she was sceptical, but then she lapped it up. Does anyone else feed their kittens store-bought chicken, and how many times a week should one do this? I know she should be predominantly eating her kitten-branded food, but sometimes I guess I worry that's pure marketing... as my mom always says, in her days they just fed cats any old scraps :)
Let me know your thoughts, would be interested in hearing what others do, especially for those who have kittens.
Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain cooked meat such as chicken is great for treats :) A few times a week is plenty. Just don't let the meat (or any treat) be more than 10% of the diet or you risk unbalancing the diet. Extra meat and even the cooking water can be frozen for later use.

If you want meat to be a larger part of the diet, look into home cooked or raw diets. There's a forum here on TCS with more info on how to do those diets properly.

Be sure the meat you buy at the supermarket hasn't been enhanced with broth or flavorings or solutions or stuff. This is more common with poultry than with beef or pork. The package label will say in teen tiny print of solutions or broth has been added.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Store bought chicken is good for a treat but as said above not for more than 10% of daily diet. If you want to switch to an all meat or raw diet check out the forum to make sure it is a balanced diet. The only caution is to make sure it isn’t cooked with onions or garlic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much! Right now I aim on giving it to her 2-3 times a week, as a small treat alongside her regular food.