Feedback on my proposed frankenprey menu!

tiliqua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd love some feedback on my proposed frankenprey menu.  My thoughts are, I'd like to feed twice / day and have 6 meals that I rotate through - that way I can feed all in 3 days and have it balanced or else add in some commercial raw meals / mice / grain free canned and still rotate through meals 1 through 6 in order and it will balance.  I'm fairly busy, so having 6 set meals to make and freeze seems a lot more doable than a weekly menu - I'll vary protein sources as much as possible.  If I'm home, I'll also feed small snacks for lunch.  I'll monitor their weight and adjust portion sizes as necessary.

I'm feeding 4 cats - Aries and Orion are large (around 11 lbs), muscular, active (and not overweight) boys - I'm starting with feeding them ~ 5 ounces / day.  Gia is much smaller but active, so I'll start her around 3.5 ounces / day.  Karina is small and not nearly as active so she'll start at 3 ounces / day.  I'll give them some treats for lunch as  I can as this seems a bit light (and monitor weight and adust as necessary).

5 + 5 + 3.5 + 3 ounces = 16.5 ounces x ~30 grams = 495 grams per day.  I'll round to 500 for ease of calculations!  500 grams of food a day is 1500 per 3 days.  So ~ 75 grams liver, 75 grams kidney / other organ, 100 - 150 grams bone (or add 1/2 tsp bone meal / egg shell per 1 lbs meat for those who don't eat bone in foods), and 1,230 muscle meat. I'll need to adjust bone in meals as necessary, depending on bone vs meat content and seeing what percentage of bone they do best on.  Right now they are about 7-8% and it seems to be working.

1,500 grams over 6 meals = 250 grams per meal (split appropriately between the 4 cats, I'll package and freeze together for ease of thawing etc).

Meal 1:

250 grams muscle meat - chickenbreast, thigh, any part of cornish hen, duck, goose etc. . (as much variety as possible))

Meal 2:

250 gram of bone in meal (depending on % bone).  Chicken necks, chicken wings, cornish hen wing, neck, ribs, pork ribletts, etc.  If I can't switch Karina to bone in meals, she'll get 1/2 tsp calcium supplement per 1 lb meat.

Meal 3:

~ 10 grams heart each (roughly 1 chicken heart) plus 210 grams red meat (beef, beef tongue, bison, pork, venison, elk, wild boar, lamb - whatever I have on hand).

Meal 4: 

75 grams liver (chicken, beef, etc) plus 175 gram of muscle meat - chicken / feathered meats etc.

Meal 5:

1 chicken gizzard each (~ 15 grams each) plus 190 muscle meat (beef, beef tongue, bison, pork, venison, elk, wild boar, lamb - whatever I have on hand).

Meal 6:

75 grams other secreting organ (from various animals) plus 175 gram assorted muscle meat (whatever I have on hand for this one)

Treats will include sardines or small fish weekly and if I feed commercial raw I'll mix an egg yolk in every couple weeks.  I'm also looking to order probiotics.  I've left it kind of split between feathered and non-feathered protein sources, I'm trying for around 50/50 and within those groups I'll get as much variety as possible.  For the liver, kidney and heart I'll also switch between chicken and other animals.  Some meals will be whole mice or small rats, commercial raw or possibly grain free canned.

I'd love any thoughts or feedback!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks good to me! My only thought would be that you might want to work more heart into the diet if sourcing isn't a problem. I actually feed 3 meals of just heart each week (I also feed 2 meals of just gizzard, but my cats, for the most part, aren't eating bone-in meals).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiliqua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heart, gizzards, liver, and now kidney are easy to souce and I can get them from several different animals.  I can easily feed more meals a week and it is cheaper than stew / muscle meat.  Thanks for the advice! 

Two of mine aren't eating bone in meals consistently (or at all for one) yet, so I can easily increase the amount of those foods that they eat (still with 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ).  

I had a good morning - got Aries to eat fuzzie and hopper mice cut in half and scented with canned food, so that's a good step towards eating bone in meals.  He eats most everything so far except bone in and whole, so I'm very happy with this.  Gia also hasn't shown any interest in whole prey items but she ate half of one of Orion's rats this morning, so that was great.  I think Aries, Gia and Orion will be fine on frankeyprey / whole prey after Gia and Aries get used to it all.  Karina still show no interest in anything other than meat chunks or some organs, so I'll have to be more careful with her diet / calcium / organ balance.  I'll keep trying to transition her slowly.

Orion is showing no interest in canned or ground raw - he's far to pleased with the menu of late to go back.  I've picked up a bunch of adult mice and rats frozen, so that is easy for him as long as the petsitter and boyfriend don't mind!  

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ,is your name Peaches? I'm new and not good at this ,but the recipe[sp]seems like to much work when you can buy a bag of frozen food and take out as little or as much as you need plus I can feed my 2 dogs as well with the same product of course my dogs are toys or it would be to expensive

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi ,is your name Peaches? I'm new and not good at this ,but the recipe[sp]seems like to much work when you can buy a bag of frozen food and take out as little or as much as you need plus I can feed my 2 dogs as well with the same product of course my dogs are toys or it would be to expensive
This is a different thread, but you'll get the hang of it. ;)

So long as you can afford to feed the commercial raw, then that's fine. You said that it is labeled for dogs too, right? Then it's probably fine to feed them.

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanx for your reply ,for me I'm getting a kitten that has been weaned on raw and I feel I'.ll be beside myself trying to make raw complete What about taurine heard cats kittens they need it.Beside my Maltese is such a PICKY eater and he likes this[ sort of]  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiliqua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scotty - yes, cat's need taurine.  Dark meats and heart are good sources of taurine.  Heart is quite cheap so it is an easy food to add in to a raw menu to ensure that they are getting enough taurine.  If you're not sure about how to balance, keep doing research and in the meantime feed a commercial meal that is balanced.  You can give up to 15% of their diet as treats, so you can add some chunks of meat or heart etc while you're feeding commercial food.

I found a great butcher shop that got me a good variety of meats as well as organs and things like tongue.  They also gave me bone meal for free and were happy to cut things like pork riblets to 'cat size'.   I just spent quite a few hours weighing and freezing meals - 4 cats eat quite a lot each day!  Orion and Gia were very interested in the whole process so I used them as taste testers - those two are a raw feeders dream, they eat absolutely everything.  Aries is starting to eat larger mice so hopefully he'll start eating necks, wings and other bone in meals.  

I'm feeling good about this - I've sourced quite a lot of variety and the cats are eating it well.  Orion is incredible - I feed him giant pieces of meat or whole thighs (bone in) to slow him down so he doesn't finish and try to steal other kitties food - and he'll eat it all.  Thigh bones included!  I thought he'd strip the chjicken off the thigh bone like the others do but he just ate it all.

Thanks for the advice and comments.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanx for your reply ,for me I'm getting a kitten that has been weaned on raw and I feel I'.ll be beside myself trying to make raw complete What about taurine heard cats kittens they need it.Beside my Maltese is such a PICKY eater and he likes this[ sort of]   :wife:
Is it the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw for cats and dogs that you're looking at? That is a balanced food with taurine from heart.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL Tiliqua! The first time I gave my cats chicken thigh bones while deboning (was waiting on my grinder to come in) I thought they would just gnaw on them a bit. Nope! It was nibble nibble crack. Then because I worried about the bones being to big I had to chase them and the bones around the house. They ended up being fine, but it isn't something I'd feed then leave the house. I'm just too paranoid.

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HEY, just wanted to say that I gave Boo my maltese Raw chicken and he thought I was nuts he looked up at me and walked away disgusted...
 trying to