Fed The Cat Two Small Treats With Rosemary Extract

goldcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just fed the cat two small treats and rosemary extract was last ingredient. Chickpea flour and chicken was top ingredients. Now I saw an article that rosemary is a poison or neurotoxin or causes seizures? Some nerve for this company to put in treats.
What do I do? Cat is fine and sleeping. Should I take him to a vet or induce vomiting? Its Saturday afternoon I can't I'd have to call someone they're closed.
She had two tiny treats about the size of a dime.
Article said 1 oz of rosemary extract would cause problems. She had two tiny treats from a 5 oz. bag and rosemary extract was the last ingredient.
I'm actually really concerned about my cat and pissed off rosemary extract is even put in food for animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rosemary extract, the small amounts in treats and many cat foods is fine. Rosemary oil on the other had you would not want to give your cats, it can be quite toxic. A quality extract such as used in foods will have all traces of oil removed.

I oz of extract might cause a problem for cats, or people. from what i understand it is used in cat food at the rate of about 1 oz per 2 000 lbs of food. your kitten should be fine, of course any time he acts off then i would have the vet check him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg thank you so much!!!
I was just going to add that it is probably "miniscule amount" if it is used as preservative. Then I saw an article about all the cheaper Crappy low quality foods and rosemary extract is also last ingredient.
I was really worried though. Pffew!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you would like to avoid rosemary extract and other stuff commonly found in most commercial treats, feed your cat 100% freeze dried meat or fish treats instead. Purebites is one popular brand but there are many others.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of pet foods use rosemary extract as a preservative. I have heard of some cats and dogs who have epilepsy that's triggered by the rosemary extract in their food, but for most cats the amount used in pet food is fine.

It's all about the dosage. Even too much water is dangerous ;).

goldcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you would like to avoid rosemary extract and other stuff commonly found in most commercial treats, feed your cat 100% freeze dried meat or fish treats instead. Purebites is one popular brand but there are many others.
I'm a vegetarian so would reduce suffering and get the fish or tofu and purred vegetables etc. with compassion circle green powder. Cats would be carnivores in the wild if they could run around and hunt mice But we make them live indoors. Which puts a lot of weight on out shoulders since we pick their food and they can't live from their instincts (hunting)
But anyway this is a while other topic off the rosemary extract.

Thanks LT and everyone!! I am going to make my own treats at some point, heard chickpea flour is good. You're right LT about the bad commercial stuff.

goldcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone who wrote. Cats still fine. Really scary that just some ingredient could cause a seizure. Probably just a miniscule amount and your cat would need to eat the food or treats for years.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to only be a problem for pets who already have epilepsy. Like how blinking lights are mostly harmless but can trigger seizures in epileptics.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would just like to put this in as a reminder that cats ARE carnivores whether you have them inside or not. They also shouldn’t be eating tofu or purred veggies. Neither serves a purpose in their diet. I may have taken your comment wrong but just in case cats are obligate carnivores and need meat to survive, not tofu or chickapea flour. Just to be clear.

goldcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This isn't really our topic but commercial food is skin and slaughterhouse scraps. I don't support the suffering of cows, pigs, etc for anyone's consumption.
Plus half of cats and dogs, statistically come down with cancer, from an article I read, I am pretty sure that this is because chickens confined in the factory farms mostly ALL have cancer. Cats who eat tofu, oats, purred vegetables and supplement powder designed for veggie cats, one powder is from compassion circle and includes spirilina, chlorella etc. I would guess, will not get cancer. I would suggest fresh wild fish instead of cow meat or chicken or veggie diets for all companion animals for a long healthy life. I am vegan and will virtually live until 80 or 90 or even longer without obesity, disease or cancer, able to jog still at age 85, etc. so go figure the mask of lies that has been put over your eyes blinding you from the truth of animals exploited for food.
If cats could run and hunt mice, that's their "meat"

Even so and so high quality food like Newman's own dry food is just junk processed suffering diseased chicken scraps, it would be like feeding your child french fries every meal.

I would just like to put this in as a reminder that cats ARE carnivores whether you have them inside or not. They also shouldn’t be eating tofu or purred veggies. Neither serves a purpose in their diet. I may have taken your comment wrong but just in case cats are obligate carnivores and need meat to survive, not tofu or chickapea flour. Just to be clear.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
chickens confined in the factory farms mostly ALL have cancer.
I've never heard that one before. Chickens are slaughtered at 8 weeks. Do they even have time to get cancer?
Cats who eat tofu, oats, purred vegetables and supplement powder designed for veggie cats, one powder is from compassion circle and includes spirilina, chlorella etc. I would guess, will not get cancer.
Nah, because they'll die from malnutrition first. Cats are obligate carnivores. They need meat. While they can technically survive with a heavily supplemented meatless diet, they won't be very healthy. Cats can't synthesize vitamin A from vegetable sources, and their taurine requirements are pretty high. They have a hard time digesting non-meat foods, so they can't derive all the nutrients in that food. Their needs are entirely different from the needs of humans or dogs. They are meant to eat rodents and small birds, that's all they can really handle.

I applaud anyone who makes an effort to source their cat's meals from humanely raised meat sources, but obviously I can't agree with feeding cats a meat-free diet.

Last edited:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gold cat, please think about the next time you get a cat about what their dietary requirements are. They can’t be “veggie cats” as you call them. They are obligate carnivores and require meat in their daily diet. If you are so conceneed about this then why not make home made food with meat from wherever you want it sourced. Buy organic and pasture raised if that’s what makes you happy but don’t neglect your cat by feeding them foods they cannot digest and cannot use. This is WIDELY known at this point.
Also about fish, what makes you think this is a better option? With wild salmon numbers declining in population due to over fishing and most of our oceans are on the verge of collapse. Tuna is FILLED with toxic mercury and other heavy metals. Farmed fish excrete pollutants into fresh waters due to the over population in the pins they are kept in. They are fed a Corn based diet which isnt the best diet for the majority of them. They suffer and suffocate in their own waste the majority of the time. So please when feeding fish take those points into consideration. Also remember that scientist have proven that fish feel pain and abuse just like any other animal.
Also you’re point on living older, I believe how long you live largely has to do with genetics. My great grandmother lives past 90 and didn’t get cancer until around 90 and it was from smoking her whole life. She still exercised and grew all her own garden produce and ate all kinds of meat produces from the wild and the grocery store through her whole life. She was also a raging alcoholic most of her life as well. Even until her death. So no you won’t live to 90 because you don’t eat meat you’ll live to 90 if genetics and luck allow you to and if you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
But you've already been brain washed to believe that your obligate (meaning they NEED meat in their diet) carnivore is suffering from eating meat and people who belive these things tend to be too hardheaded to understand anything anymore.
Next time adopt a rabbit if you want a “veggie” animal.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
You may say it's not on topic, but you opened it up when you replied to LTS3 LTS3

Environment does not change physiology in a short time (evolution takes decades, centuries even).
Would you say that a snake should not eat mice because it lives in a terrarium?
Would you say that a rabbit should not eat veggies because it lives in a house or outdoor cage?
Would you say that a bird should not eat seeds (and bugs) because it lives in a cage?

Cats and dogs are carnivores. Cats especially are obligate carnivores. Their bodies are literally designed to eat meat; from their dentition to the enzymes in their digestive system, to how their bodies process nutrients and the requirements thereof. Living in a house does not change their physiology; evolution does not change them into vegetarians because they live in a house.

As others have said, if you are trying to be conscientious about sourcing, then by all means do your research and go the homemade raw route. Otherwise please feed your cat a healthy, meat based, grain free commercial diet.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand not being fond of feeding meat. I myself don't eat meat, and a meat department is a foreign place. The prospect of making raw cat food makes me uncomfortable, but by owning a cat I'm committing myself to provide the best care I possibly can. I don't like the treatment of the animals so I elect not to consume them, which is a perfectly healthy option for omnivorous humans. It is not acceptable for carnivorous felines. I will not trade the suffering of one animal (chickens, cows) for the suffering of another (the obligate carnivore deprived of meat). Their entire physiology is based on consumption of meat and that does not change based on whether or not they live indoors or outdoors. If the day ever comes (which I highly doubt it will) when the housecat loses its carnassials and secodont dentition, then I'll consider the possibility that the species is evolving away from being an obligate carnivore. If I ever want to avoid buying any meat product for any reason, I won't keep a little carnivore as a pet. I'll switch to rabbits, birds, chinchillas; anything that is biologically and physiologically equipped to consume the diet I am willing to provide.

As others have said, source meat from farms that meet your approval and consider researching homemade food.

KellieR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Um, first, the question was about rosemary and whether or not it's toxic.
Second, this is not the place to spew against people who choose not to eat like you do.
I work with a man who is 93 and who is still working full time. He is a meat eater, mainly Mexican food, a daily whiskey drinker, and a cigarette smoker. Has been all his life. I fully expect him to live to 100.
There are good pet foods, made for the carnivores that cats and dogs are, that don't use the junk parts in their food and that aren't that expensive when you compare them. Whole Earth is one.
I hope it all works out for you gold at.

This isn't really our topic but commercial food is skin and slaughterhouse scraps. I don't support the suffering of cows, pigs, etc for anyone's consumption.
Plus half of cats and dogs, statistically come down with cancer, from an article I read, I am pretty sure that this is because chickens confined in the factory farms mostly ALL have cancer. Cats who eat tofu, oats, purred vegetables and supplement powder designed for veggie cats, one powder is from compassion circle and includes spirilina, chlorella etc. I would guess, will not get cancer. I would suggest fresh wild fish instead of cow meat or chicken or veggie diets for all companion animals for a long healthy life. I am vegan and will virtually live until 80 or 90 or even longer without obesity, disease or cancer, able to jog still at age 85, etc. so go figure the mask of lies that has been put over your eyes blinding you from the truth of animals exploited for food.
If cats could run and hunt mice, that's their "meat"

Even so and so high quality food like Newman's own dry food is just junk processed suffering diseased chicken scraps, it would be like feeding your child french fries every meal.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Edit: Erasing my reply. I realize this thread is old! I hadn't noticed before posting. My bad.