Fed My Cat Fresh Quail Without Freezing It Prior. Scared!

plutosangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had ordered some fresh quail and rabbit but the delivery service came a day late and I wasn't able to freeze the meat for at least 24 hours before feeding to kill any potential toxoplasmosis.

Winter and Autumn were really hungry and I just gave them the quail as soon as it arrived.

My husband and I are trying to conceive and I have tested negative for toxoplasmosis which means I do stand a risk of infection :( Am I being paranoid? What precautions should I take to have no risk from a potential toxoplasmosis infection in my cat?

Help!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it baby quail or adults? If they were young, I doubt they'd have had time to get infected, and for the parasi. But I'm no expert on toxoplasmosis so I won't try to answer about the risk in adult birds.

The usual recommendation is for pregnant women to not clesn the litterbox, and if you can't avoid it, wear a dust mask and gloves. That's generally considered enough precaution.

Are you sure the company didn't have them frozen before? Seems odd to ship meat unfrozen, even with cool packs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plutosangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response, Willowy! It's a local butcher's shop and they are all about selling only fresh meat. They called me prior and said their shipment of quails was delayed which is why they had to move my order to the next day.

I did a bit of reading online and it appears that if I make sure I clean the litterbox everyday, I should be okay. DH does the litterbox cleaning so I'm good there. I've got my fingers crossed!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like it came from a good source and not like, from your backyard lol.