February 2020 Book of the Month Club

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Verna, Emma said several times "horrible", like cole slaw in a runny pile, limp french fries, sloppy joes. I'm not sure if everyone thought it was horrible or just Emma, but I thought it was everybody. And it stood out a lot when someone I forget who brought her fillet minon from the Lodge.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. I thought it may have been because it was 'sensible' food like veg and fruit instead of pizza and ice cream. I agree with you that it was strange that there should have been such a difference in their food. Maybe they thought the girls would prefer chips etc as opposed to good quality steak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And I STILL think that Vivian actively drowned the other two. That's why she told Emma that she couldn't come with them than fateful night.
Oh, I absolutely think she did too. But wonder if Emma had let her in the cabin, what would have happened. Wonder how she was going to explain the absence of the other 2 girls.

One thing stood out as unbelievable to me though - the camp food being "horrible". If Fanny and family were so rich, and they had filet minon in the big Lodge, why couldn't they have paid for good food for the campers. After all it was a "rich" girls camp. That didn't add up.
Having been to camp a few times during my "tweens", hating camp food was the norm. Even, thinking back now, when the food wasn't really that bad. So maybe the author was just trying to stick with the cliche.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I absolutely think she did too. But wonder if Emma had let her in the cabin, what would have happened. Wonder how she was going to explain the absence of the other 2 girls.

Having been to camp a few times during my "tweens", hating camp food was the norm. Even, thinking back now, when the food wasn't really that bad. So maybe the author was just trying to stick with the cliche.
Yeah I didn't think of that :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now, there's a thought! I believe the answer would have been, "I looked and looked for them, but couldn't find them!" or possibly, "I tried and tried to save them! Help me!" Who knows?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
So pretend Viv got caught after Em's paining went to Det. Flynn. , but she was imo, a psychopath.
She was a teen when she killed the girls so do you think she would go to a mental facility or prison?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A secure unit where she could get the help she needed and try to find the reason for her behavior. A prison would not help her, possibly make her worse.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if she would end up in prison, as I'm not sure they could ever prove she was the one who killed the girls. She was so smug, though, when she taunted Emma at the art show, I have to wonder what other crimes she may have committed in 15 years.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...
A secure unit where she could get the help she needed and try to find the reason for her behavior. A prison would not help her, possibly make her worse.
Unfortunately, psychopaths are born (as opposed to sociopaths, who are made), and their brains actually function differently that do those of us who are more "normal." There is no more helping a psychopath than there is helping a person born without eyes to see. They are literally born without a moral compass of any sort, and it cannot be taught to them. The best they can do is mimic the actions, but will gladly abandon that mimicry if it is an advantage to them, since they have no real understanding of this. Now, IF Vivian is a sociopath, there is a chance that, with intensive therapy, she might begin to "grow" a moral compass, but she would have to be very motivated to take full part in that therapy. And it would take years. GIven her pride in her "accomplishments," I can't see her having any motivation whatsoever to change.

OK...climbing off of my soapbox now.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I've learnt something today ( your never too old), I didnt realise that psychopaths were unable to change. I thought they were manipulative and more in control whilst sociopaths acted on rage and were erratic.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't have known, either, except that I worked in a mental hospital for years. Originally, there was just "psychopath." Then a few decades later, "sociopath" began being used instead. THEN they decided that the difference was that sociopaths caused more damage to society as a whole, and NOW the difference is in whether it happens at/before birth or as a result of a sever lack of nurturing. And both share a lot in common with narcissists.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a sneaking feeling that the terms are somewhat fluid, even today. I did do some research on it. and was going by a well-respected psychological group...further research shows what you said, while yet another says something entirely different, having to do with behaviors! And ALL are respected groups! So...fluid. Who knows. We used the terminology I quoted above, at my hospital. I would no longer be surprised to hear that others use something else, entirely.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our "official" discussion period for "The Last Time I Lied" has ended, however, do feel free to add any further comments you may have.

Meanwhile onto the March 2020 Book of the Month Club read. :read: