Fear Response Post-illness

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clancy had a few weeks of treatment for pancreatitis. Almost all the meds were administered via syringe, except a small flavoured appetite stimulant, and later, prednisone also in pill form. We’re almost done with his meds and he appears totally back to normal (eating well, etc). The last week of treatment was the administration of prednisolone in pill form.

Now, Clancy inexplicably decides to hide under the bed at some point after breakfast. (Breakfast is actually a tablespoon of plain baby food which he loves, and I give it as a treat. His regular food is special kibble.) I thought at first the breakfast didn’t agree with him--which would be strange since he eats it at dinner and doesn’t hide under the bed--but figured what the heck. I tested the theory and gave him a treat under the bed, which he gobbled up. He clearly wasn’t feeling ill.

Now here’s the interesting part: he always got pilled with prednisolone in the morning, between 10 and 11. The prednisolone tastes god-awful (I know, I’ve had prednisone.) He’s still on the pred, but now that he’s eating, he’s getting it in a pill pocket, which he likes.

I’m thinking that the reason he’s hiding under the bed is because he’s anticipating getting pilled. I’m hoping after a few more days of no pilling, he’ll relax. Comments?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had to keep our tabby isolated in one room for 14 days, and give him a variety of several horrible things EVERY four hours for 14 days.
Took him about a month to before he decided we weren't going to stick something down his throat every time we saw him. :lol:

The bigger one? I gave him just ONE pill, just ONE time. Now, if he sees a pill popper, he gets pretty upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks basscat. Clancy is pretty laid back, but I guess he’ll have some adjustment time.