Fd Raw For Homeless Queen And Kittens?

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my parent's neighbors just moved, and evidently they had been feeding a stray cat. Apparently the cat felt comfortable enough in their yard that she had five kittens there.

I was just made aware of them tonight, I guess another neighbor had noticed her and took her some kibble and water. The kittens look about four weeks old and appear really healthy. But mom is looking rough. She's emaciated and has some scabs around her head and neck. Mom and the kittens are all very friendly.

As much as I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to, I cannot bring them home. Goblin hasn't been vaccinated, and I live in a studio so I don't have another room I could put them in. Tomorrow, I'm going to start calling all the rescues I can find in the area.

In the meantime, I'd love to get mom some decent food. I have a bag of Primal freeze dried turkey that Goblin won't eat, would it be okay for her to eat it even if she's never had raw before? And is it okay for the kittens? I gave them a can of Friskies shreds earlier (all I had on me, lol) and they munched on it a little but were having trouble with the thick texture, I'm assuming it's the first solid food they've had.

I'd appreciate any other tips as well, thank you!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats and dog a raw diet, but would be hesitant to provide a raw diet to a cat that doesn't look healthy. If mom is unhealthy, her immune system might not be strong enough to fight of some of the bacteria commonly found in raw meat. (On the other hand, freeze-dried meat is probably less likely to have loads of bacteria in it. So....maybe???)

I'd probably offer her and the kittens a little KMR and some canned kitten food.

I'll be picking up a momma cat from TNR in a few weeks (she is currently nursing kittens at the shelter) and will be offering her some homemade cooked cat food after release.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure it's fine. Primal is HPP anyway, so even if mom isn't healthy she wont have any issues with bacteria or parasites.