Favorites - What are you currently feeding? Or would you feed if you feed Can, Dry & Raw food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wimama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In an article by Tracy Dion on CatCentric, she recommends a minimum of 3 meals for an adult cat and 4 meals for a kitten.  Four meals a day seems to be what my kitten prefers or shall I say what she demands.  She comes into the kitchen and meows like crazy until she is feed.  I can't deny a growing kitten food.  

thecatsite-user

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
- merrick's chicken pate and turkey pate (used to feed cowboy's cookout and grammy's potpie but they changed formula it's no longer as good as before)

What did Merrick's change about Cowboy Cookout and Grammy's Pot Pie that makes it not as good as before.

Thanks!

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weruva for cats that like gravy.

Nutro Natural Choice - soft loaf version - best pate texture I have found.

Home made raw using Dr. Pierson's poultry, and rabbit + poultry combo.

Home made raw using TCFeline premix (available in Canada!)

Will try some Wysong limited ingredient canned with Taste of the Wild supplement, and will use TOTW to supplement raw as well.

Stella & Chewy's Carnivore Crunch for treats.

Freeze dried turkey hearts for treats.

I have one cat that will eat ANYTHING, and another cat that changes her mind on what she likes every five minutes!

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm mainly on commercial raw right now, leading up to some Frankenprey (due to my freezer size, I can't get everything I need, since I'd have to order it online and get a minimum of 10 lbs. (which won't fit in my freezer)) with supplements. I have chicken livers, gizzards, and hearts, as well as boneless chicken breasts and thighs, and a package of boneless turkey breasts. I need to partially defrost it so I can portion it out with my scale. I just got my Alnutrin supplement for meat and liver, and Call of the Wild (for just meat) is coming soon. I'm particularly interested in this method because my cat has gingivitis, and I've heard that eating meat chunks and gizzards can help with that (along WITH brushing, not to replace brushing).

The commercial raw is what I can get in my local store: Primal chicken/salmon and Primal turkey. Because fish isn't great for cats, I alternate the days I give the chicken salmon. Right now, my cat is on three feedings: morning, after work, before bed. On week-ends, it turns into four. If my cat is hungry, I'll give her more. I give four nuggets per day, supplemented with canned food if she's still hungry (she's a kitten, so I feed her if she's hungry): I give her two nuggets mixed together in the morning, one after work, and one before bed. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, that's 1 chicken/salmon and 3 turkey. The rest of the days, it's all turkey.

For canned food, I took Dr. Pierson's list (here: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf ) and printed out part of it (I know I did not print out 35 pages), and then took it to the store. I got at least one can of EVERY food that was 10% or lower in carbs on the dry analysis the first time I went and that did NOT have fish. The second time, I did almost the same thing, but did NOT get any foods that had carrageenan. If I were to list all the different brands and flavors, it would be a huge list, and I've forgotten a lot of them. Like you, I was concerned about variety, and I'm happy about the result, since, on the whole, my cat is NOT a picky eater.

I am planning to continue keeping canned food around because I'm flaky and sometimes I forget to take out the raw the night before. Obviously, my cat still needs to eat! I also occasionally leave out dry if I'm going to be gone over 12 hours -- since she's still a kitten, I don't want her going too long without food, and when I put down frozen nuggets, she ate them, even though they were frozen . . . but she doesn't like the dry food that much, so she only eats it when she's hungry. If I left canned or frozen raw out, she'd eat it all at once and still go a long time before her next meal. Right now, I have Nutro Natural Choice Duck and Potato, but I want to switch to Ziwipeak, Nature's Variety limited ingredient, and/or Wysong Epigen90 when I'm done with that. Again, though, it's pretty rare, and it will be even rarer once she's no longer a kitten.