Favorite wet kitten foods (on a budget!)

Greenmonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! I had the privilege of adopting an 8 week old kitten back in February and he’s absolutely precious. He was left in a box outside a friends office. My vet sent me home with Purina pro plan kitten wet food and royal Canin dry food. He got one can twice a day of the wet food plus has the dry available at all times for snacking. My question is...what’s everyone’s favorite wet kitten food that’s not so dang pricey? Fancy feast? Any others? I know he will need kitten formulated food until he reaches a year old. Later this summer I’ll be starting my career and will have a healthy budget for premium quality foods but for now trying to be budget conscious

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Fancy Feast original pates are a great budget food and they are what I fed my Aslan when I first got him, as they were all I could really afford. Another decent brand is Sheba. Now I feed pricier brands as I am better off, but still with some Fancy Feast mixed in. Aslan ate FF primarily until he was 2 and he’s a very healthy cat.

Friskies is slightly less healthy, but I fed this sometimes when I was unemployed and really tight on money so that’s another option as a backup. Congratulations on your new family member :)

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’d be cautious about leaving the dry food out all day….I made that mistake and now have 2 cats that are too much over weight and a couple who would rather eat just the dry…i wouldn’t let your kitten get in the habit of eating too much dry…wet is far better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greenmonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’d be cautious about leaving the dry food out all day….I made that mistake and now have 2 cats that are too much over weight and a couple who would rather eat just the dry…i wouldn’t let your kitten get in the habit of eating too much dry…wet is far better
Good to know! He eats 2 full cans of the wet food a day currently. I’m just planning on leaving the dry kitten food out for now when he is in the kitten phase since that is what my vet recommended. Once he’s an adult he will just be getting wet food. He hardly eats the dry at all so there is only a tiny bit out at a time. I actually still have the original bag given to me by the vet :)

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast Classic pates are great! I fed my girl Tiny Tiger for awhile and she loved those but I admittedly stopped because the quality control varied. The Purina One pates rank pretty high on the Catfooddb and aren’t terribly expensive, she likes those ok. I’ve tried to get her to eat the expensive brands like Merrick and Wellness and she doesn’t care for them half as well as Fancy Feast.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast classic pate are good for the budget. I just changed mine to a more expensive food but they did fine with FF. I used to get it auto shipped from chewy

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina and Whiskas would be my choice for a budget - there's also IAMs, but sometimes it can be expensive, so if you wanted to get it I would look out for special offers (as we often do!).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Store generic brand is often very similar to Fancy Feast and cost less. Some brands: WalMart's Special Kitty, Petco's WholeHearted, Target's Kindful, Trader Joe's (no kitten formula). Supermarkets sometimes have their own brand.

You could also switch up the food occasionally and feed something that is labeled as "for all life stages".

Kittens are bottomless hungry pits so plenty of food must be available. Most people feed mainly canned food with a small amount (use a measuring cup to measure out 1 cup or so) left out for snacking on. Small frequent canned food meals works best for little tummies.