Favorite tool for clipping claws?

motorcurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has extremely long, sharp claws (she clicks when she walks on the tile).  She's normally a very relaxed cat, and my only lap cat, but she will not let me clip her claws.  What is your favorite tool for clipping?  I've tried the little scissor type cutters with minimal success.  I've had better luck with human nail clippers, although the tend to split the claws.

And do you have any suggestions for something I can do to calm her down when I clip?  Thinking about trying Rescue Remedy or calming treats. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I clip Ritz' nails when she is in a deep, REM sleep (jerks, eyes flutter).  Sometimes her nails get caught in the screen and she can't free herself:  that is scary to me as well as to her, especially because Ritz hates being picked up.

I use this style of clipper.  They worked better than human nail clippers, and I couldn't figure out how to use a gilloutine style one.

You can try clipping one nail at a time and give your cat a treat, so she associates a bad with a good.

Rescue Remedy might help.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I-use-human-nail-clippers,the-small-one.If-its-new,and-sharp,it-won't-split-the-nail.I-taught-mine,when-they-were-8-week-old-kittens,and-couldn't-get-away,now,they-think-they-can't,LOL.

I-put-them-on-their-back,and-we-make-it-a-game,like-this-little-piggy-went-to-market.They-get-a-few-licks-of-baby-food,first,then,a-few-licks,when-they-are-done.

If-your-interested,I-can-tell-you-how-to-teach-them-to-get-their-claws-clipped.

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
+1 flint....with my last cat, we could really only clip him while my husband wrapped him in a towel and flip him on his back  LOL  But we'd get the job done -- I used plain ole human nail clippers -- Revlon brand in particular, as they seem to be better quality.  I clip sideways, and have never had issues with nails splitting.

I've been doing the same now with my 4 week old kittens.  While they sleep, we play with their paws, squeeze their nails in and out, and clip as needed w/ small baby nail clippers.  Hopefully they will grow up used to this.

I also clipped my ferret's claws w/ human nail clippers :)  Always sideways while on his back.  He was easier, because I just put ferretone on his belly and he licks it nonstop while I clip his claws.  So treats might also work for your cat.  Maybe start off by playing with her paws gently while she's on your lap purring and giving her treats afterwards, then maybe touch the nail clippers to her paws, but not clipping...then treats.  Just sort of let her associate nail clippers w/ treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motorcurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I tried the scissor-type cutters again a few days ago.  Held her in my lap, gave her a treat, and managed to snip one claw.  Gave her another treat, tried for a second claw and got partially shredded when she tried to wiggle away.  My problem with the scissors is that it takes me longer to get them positioned on the claw, by which time she's figured out that it's clipping time and away she goes.  I think I may go back to the human nail clippers because it's just easier with her.  I'll get a nice new sharp pair and see if that works any better.  And also sneak up on her when she's sleeping. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I use the cat clippers, too.  My three resident cats are used to it, I've been clipping their nails since they were young. Even so, it's easiest when they're asleep.  I make sure they're totally relaxed and am usually able to get all of it done before they're fully awake and realize what's going on.  LOL

The four older cats we've taken in are a different story--obviously their previous owner didn't clip their nails.  I have been able to clip the nails on a couple of them using the same technique as with my other cats--waiting until they're asleep or very relaxed.  A third cat let me do it when he had his Thundershirt on and was relaxed; the fourth is just too skittish and hyper.  I take her in to Petco and let them do it--fortunately the store is nearby and they don't charge much.

I keep the clippers out all the time on my coffee table so they're handy--sometimes a cat will curl up next to me and go to sleep and I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in some clipping if they do!