Favorite non-blockbuster movies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got to see Audition now that more than one person has called it out as the scariest movie they've ever seen...

Thought of a couple of thrillers that I wanted to add:
1. The Gift (I love Giovanni Ribisi in this film.)
2. Frailty

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Waking Ned Devine
Pieces of April
Kissing Jessica Stein
Amelie
The Wedding Banquet
The House of Yes
And most recently, Little Miss Sunshine.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

But I'm a Cheerleader- (movie about the Spanish Ci- no, only kidding, movie with similar plot to Saved, not for homophobes or Rebublicans)
That was a good movie!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ones I can think of right off the top of my head are-
Farewell To The King
Weeds
Six String Samuri
Webb Wilder's Corn Flicks
Boondocks Saints
Cannery Row

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some that come to mind...

Once Were Warriors
Memento
Bound
Serenity
The Aristocrats (documentary about a stand up comedy joke; not for the faint of heart)
House of Sand and Fog (got nods from critics/awards, but I lot of people I've talked to haven't heard of it)

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

2. Cube (gotta love obscure horror)
Cube is one of my all time favorite movies!! I didn't care too much for the sequel (and I think there was a third, which I haven't seen) but Cube rocks!!
I can watch it over and over again!

Originally Posted by silentNate

Shuan of the Dead- romantic comedy with zombies, hilarious (the makers of this have a new movie out called Hot Fuzz, an English spoof on action movies)
Shaun of the Dead is absolutely hilarious! Josh LOVES zombie movies, and this one is one of our favorites!

Rest Stop is a really good movie about a woman who gets trapped at an abandoned rest stop, where she learns a killer preys there, and has for many years. A little bit of horror, a little bit of sci-fi. LOVE it!! (my description really doesn't do it any justice, its complex)

I don't know if it counts or not, but Supersize Me is a great documentary in which a man named Morgan Spurlock eats nothing but McDonald's for 30 days to see how it affects his body. I highly recommend this one.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

*The Changeling (with George C. Scott)
I think that this is one of the best horror movies made, if a bit dated. The seance scene *always* sends shivers up my spine.

My faves:

Bubba-Ho-Tep with Bruce Campbell (definitely a cult hit)
Session 9 and Stir of Echoes, both underappreciated horror movies

ETA: SilentNate's post reminded me...Shawn of the Dead is on my list, too.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Danny's Deck Chair.

I found it in the library, and since we'd seen everything else, I brought it home. It was great!

(I fell asleep during Station Agent.)

Love Actually with Hugh Grant is another one of my favorites.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emily...I Love The Salton Sea (with Val Kilmer!!!)!!!!

That's why my youngest cat is named Captain Steuben (after Pooh Bear's badger!!!)!!!

Oh, and I too love Welcome to the Dollhouse. Depressing, yet funny!

Has anyone seen Thirteen? For anyone with adolescent daughters, it's DISTURBING!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by joanne511

Here are some that come to mind...
House of Sand and Fog (got nods from critics/awards, but I lot of people I've talked to haven't heard of it)
I loved House of Sand and Fog - I read the book years ago and I got so frustrated with it, with the ending. I won't say what happened but its what happened that frustrated me. The acting was brilliant, lots of raw emotion and it is a good character study. I really felt for both sides, equally.

I loved Stir of Echoes - I love that kind of movie anyway!

I want to see Changeling, but I can't find it - might try the independent dvd shop in town to see if they have it.

I also like:
Waking Ned Devine
Kung Fu Hustle

I LOVE LOVE the movie Alive. It always gets to me, every time!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How could I forget Dead Alive!

http://www.houseofhorrors.com/deadalive.htm

This is one of the greatest horror movies of all time, and Peter Jackson directed it. Make SURE that you get the unrated version. There is nothing like a man strapping a law-mower to his chest and walking through a hoard of zombies to make me smile.

Just as a side note: this movie is NOT for anyone under the age of 15. It's campy, but really gross.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

This is one of the greatest horror movies of all time, and Peter Jackson directed it. Make SURE that you get the unrated version. There is nothing like a man strapping a law-mower to his chest and walking through a hoard of zombies to make me smile.

Just as a side note: this movie is NOT for anyone under the age of 15. It's campy, but really gross.
Brian says that based on you enjoying this, he recommends Meet the Feebles. He also dares anyone to watch this movie and then proclaim why New Line gave him money to direct the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
He also adds that Peter Jackson since this movie, Dead Alive, and Heavenly Creatures has been his favorite director of all time.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Has anyone seen Thirteen? For anyone with adolescent daughters, it's DISTURBING!
Yep, I have that movie. The first time I saw it I was twelve and thought, "I'll never have friends like that!" and a few years later, it happened.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Here in New Zealand, it is known as Brain Dead. I saw it when it first came out in NZ. I LOVE that movie. If you like campy Peter Jackson movies, be on the lookout for two more - Meet the Feebles and Bad Taste.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favs that most haven't seen, but are very highly rated on IMDb for good reason IMO:

Let the Right One In
(Oscar, an overlooked and bullied boy, finds love and revenge through Eli, a beautiful but peculiar girl who turns out to be a vampire.)

Ghost in the Shell
(a hacker known as the Puppet Master is hunted by a female cyborg cop and her partner; but subbed as the english dubbed version is bad voice acting)

Battle Royale
(In the future, the Japanese government captures a class of ninth-grade students and forces them to kill each other under the revolutionary "Battle Royale" act. )

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's a partial list.....

Meatballs
The Fifth Element
State Of Grace (GREAT Gary Oldman/Sean Penn movie!)
Time Rider
Top Secret
Amazon Women On The Moon
Zombieland
Hot Fuzz
Sixteen Candles
Weird Science
Get Shorty
Office Space
Freeway (Violent comedy)
Gleaming The Cube (Filmed at my High School, among other places)
The Professional